Confections of a Cake

Church Road, Virginia · View map · Visit website

About Confections of a Cake

Confections of a Cake is a custom wedding cake studio in Church Road, Virginia. Have you ever heard of a Southern baker? Well, that’s what you’ll find at Confections of a Cake! Owner Ann Tilley grew up baking alongside her mother and her grandmother, absorbing generations of Southern recipes and traditions. Today, Confections of a Cake is a family-owned company that offers a variety of cake flavors and fillings, all made from scratch.

When you choose Confections of a Cake, your consultation is done in your home (within a 50 mile radius) or in the studio. Services include custom designs, private tastings, delivery, and set up. Need a groom’s cake, cake pops, or cupcakes to go along with your wedding cake? Ann and her team can help with that, too! Confections of a Cake offers traditional flavors like vanilla and red velvet, plus nontraditional flavors like southern brown butter (most popular), cookie butter, maple bacon, lemon, and champagne.

14 Reviews for Confections of a Cake

14 Confections of a Cake Reviews

Beth
Featured
Elizabeth

Married on 05/25/2019

The Best! Wedding Cake & Cupcakes

In Brief: I used Confections of a Cake for my wedding, and I cannot recommend Ann and her team enough! Ann is truly a master of her craft and working with her was an absolute pleasure. The Complete ... Read more Complete Experience: At the insistence of one of my friends, I attended the Richmond Wedding Expo. I already had my mind set on one of my favorite local bakeries; however, I found their samples to be very disappointing. After sampling all of the other dessert vendors at the expo, I stumbled on a final cake booth – Confections of a Cake. There were two flavors left – chocolate and key lime. At this point, the idea of sampling more sweets was very unappealing, but since key lime pie is one of my favorite desserts, my curiosity got the best of me. I asked my mom to split one with me which immediately led me to ask her to split the chocolate and then for us both to grab our own individual samples. Ann's cupcakes tasted like they had just been made. They were moist and balanced with rich, complex flavors. I immediately went home and told my fiancé I'd found our cake vendor. Ann has a very extensive list of cake flavors, fillings and icings. When I reached out to her to set up a tasting, I selected a few options from her list and mentioned that we had our heart set on a couple of additional flavors/combos that were not listed. Fast forward to the tasting, Ann immediately put us at ease when we arrived to her house (complete with a separate commercial kitchen area). On top of being a true professional and an amazing baker, she is a genuinely warm and lovely person with a passion for her trade. Ann talked us through the options she offered and showed us examples of her work before starting us off on the tasting. She prepared several mini cakes with different fillings and icings, including several of the custom flavors I’d previously mentioned. All were delicious, and my fiancé and I surprised ourselves by picking out a couple of flavors that weren't on our initial list but were too good to pass up. Ann helped us determine what we wanted/needed and sent us home the rest of our samples, a promise to follow up with a quote and a sketch of the cake and advice to shop around before making a final decision. As soon as we left, we knew that last part wouldn't be necessary. We quickly contracted with Ann to provide a 6" cutting cake with sugar flowers and 8 dozen assorted cupcakes. When we had our final call before the wedding, I felt like I was talking to a friend. I was super stressed, and talking to Ann immediately made me feel better. She let me know when she planned to arrive, assured me that she would set everything up in the very specific manner requested (I opted to provide my own platters and stands and sent Ann photos of how I wanted the cupcakes arranged), and reminded me to breath and enjoy my day. The execution on my wedding day was flawless. Setup was exactly as requested, and the cake and cupcakes were delicious. Several guests commented on the amazing cupcakes and asked where they came from, and I saw several tables divvying them up to ensure they got to try all of the different flavors. The following day, my mom brought over our leftovers, and I invited her to have a piece of cake with me. I don't know how, but I think it was even better the next day. Following our initial slices, my mom said she thought it was the best cake she had every had, and we were reduced to eating the cake straight out of the box. All I can say is thank you, Ann! We are already looking forward to our anniversary cake.

Lindsay
Lindsay

Married on 06/22/2019

Couldn’t have asked for a better cake!

Our cake turned out just like imagined! Only thing is I wish I could’ve seen Anne on my day to give her a big thank you and a hug! The flavor of all three layers was immaculate as I knew it would be. ... Read more Everyone loved the cake and it was so beautiful!

D
Debbie Stewart

Married on 05/04/2019

Delicious Wedding Cake

My daughter had a three-tier cake and 96 cupcakes. Everything was delicious and we had absolutely no leftovers. Ann has so many flavors and fillings. They were all so delicious, it was hard to ... Read more choose. She captured my daughter’s dream cake at a very affordable price. Hire this vendor to make your cake- they will not disappoint .