Freight Shed

Yorktown, Virginia · View map

About Freight Shed

Located at 331 Water Street, in the heart of Riverwalk Landing, sits the Freight Shed—Yorktown's premiere waterfront venue. Built in 1935 by the National Park Service after a tropical storm destroyed much of the waterfront, the original building was used as a terminal for Baltimore steamships until 1952. Then, it was remodeled and served as a post office.

The current facility, extensively renovated in 2005 in conjunction with the opening of Riverwalk Landing, is approximately 1,950 square feet with a large brick plaza on the river side of the building. It has hosted many functions including weddings, reunions, parties, banquets, concerts, and business meetings and lectures.

The gorgeous views of the York River, coupled with stunning sunsets, provide breathtaking backdrops for the photographer on your big day!

The Freight Shed can accommodate seated ceremonies and receptions of up to 130 people. Beautiful glass, arched doors open up to Riverwalk Plaza, which offers an additional tented area that can be used for the ceremony, cocktail hour, and dancing. The tent is included in your venue rental Apr-Oct, with additional rental options available outside that time frame.

20 Reviews for Freight Shed

20 Freight Shed Reviews

Virginia
Virginia

Married on 06/01/2019

Freight Shed

The venue is beautiful and intimate. The staff and Daniel were very helpful and accommodating. Read more The venue is beautiful and intimate. The staff and Daniel were very helpful and accommodating.

K
Kristen

Married on 08/06/2016

This venue had everything we wanted for our dream wedding. The people there were SO helpful and answered all of our questions about measurements or tables, Absolutely beautiful venue! Read more This venue had everything we wanted for our dream wedding. The people there were SO helpful and answered all of our questions about measurements or tables, Absolutely beautiful venue!!

L
Lacey

Married on 04/20/2013

Having our wedding at the Yorktown Freight Shed was a dream come true! For those of you who are familiar with his historic site it books up almost 2 years in advance. I was lucky enough to have placed ... Read more my deposit during their "old" contract where the base fee was $600 for 3 hours + 1 hour of prep+1 hour of cleanup with any additional event hours at $125/hour. Since my deposit in 2012, they have raised their rates to a base of fee of $1000. We originally were going to marry at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News VA but ended up changing our wedding date due to a cross-country move for my new job. Since we were now searching for a date in spring of 2013 versus fall of 2012 the Freight Shed was able to accommodate us for 4/20/13. We worked very closely with Sherman and Jonathan-the managers of the Freight Shed. Every little question I had, they were able to provide a prompt answer either by email or by phone. Our wedding was a morning ceremony with a brunch reception and it required my family and friends to arrive earlier than normal to help set up and decorate. Jonathan (a true angel in disguise) allowed us to set up much earlier than originally agreed upon at no additional charge! He even had the cleaning crew complete their job sooner than normal as well. Normally, the Freight Shed doesn't open until 10am for events with ability to start setup no sooner than 9:30am. With Jonathan's help my family and friends were able to enter the Freight Shed an hour and half earlier than normal. What a TIME-SAVER it was for us! In addition to the amazing service from Jonathan and Sherman I can't forget to mention how sweet Renata was as well. She handles all of the financial side of the Freight Shed such as payments and deposit refunds. She answered many of my questions as well and if she couldn't she would always get me in touch with Jonathan whenever needed. Renata is an absolute sweetheart and a joy to work with as well. Thank you for such a wonderful day!!!