Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen

Baltimore, MD · View map · Visit website

About Gertrude's Chesapeake Kitchen

Gertrude’s Restaurant is a fine Chesapeake restaurant in Baltimore, Maryland. This restaurant has a stunning view of Baltimore Museum of Art’s sculpture garden as well as an award-winning outdoor terrace. Loved by locals, the outdoor seating area won a “Best of Baltimore” award from Baltimore Magazine. You’ll be in good hands with owner/creator John Shields, also known as the “Culinary Ambassador of the Chesapeake Bay,” who has written cookbooks and starred as a cooking show host. The location of this restaurant makes it a venue that you and your guests will remember.

Facilities And Capacity
This restaurant venue can accommodate 180 guests with a station or buffet style event. For a seated and served dinner, the venue can host 120 guests. Ceremonies of 150 people can be accommodated on the outside terrace. Enjoy your ceremony outside on the terrace, surrounded by a small pool of water and some stepping stones. From there, make your way inside for the dinner style of your choice.

Many event items are provided at this venue. That includes chairs, tables, linens, flatware, China, centerpieces, and tents. All set up and clean up of the catering services is handled by Gertrude’s Restaurant staff. Bar services include bartenders, a limited or an open bar, house beer, house wine, house liquor, specialty beer, specialty wine, specialty liquor, and a signature drink of your choice. Pricing is based on the bar being open for four hours.

Cuisine
Gertrude’s Restaurant specializes in fine Chesapeake cuisine. All menus are custom-designed to your wants and needs. Maybe you’re interested in the “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Crab” vegan crab cakes or Gertie’s Seafood Gumbo. One thing’s for sure, you will enjoy local dishes made famous by the Chesapeake Bay.

Other Facilities

J
Featured
June

Married on 09/15/2018

I am so happy we chose Gertrude’s for our reception. Emily, the venue coordinator, made the planning process so easy. She was always prompt and detailed with the information she provided, and ... Read more graciously tolerated my 1-million questions. Since Gertrude’s is a restaurant you don’t have to worry about table linens, place settings, votive candles, chairs, etc… They have crisp white linens for all of the dining & cocktail tables - you’re only responsible for the the banquet & specialty tables - a fun way to bring a pop of color into the decor. They also have cafe lights strung in the tented terrace and strands of twinkle lights draping from the large picture window separating the restaurant & tented terrace that give the space an elegant feel. There is also a fountain in the upper garden terrace, and you can rent hurricane candles, too. As the bride & groom, an attendant is assigned to you for the evening, which was incredible - we didn't have to think. They always made sure we had a fresh cocktail; brought us plates of hors d’oeuvres during pics; and had our plates of dinner already on our table by the time we got to it. That brings me to the food! Oh my gosh, the food! If you’ve never eaten at Gertrude’s you’re missing out on a Baltimore gem! The food was absolutely outstanding! We got compliment after compliment! This is also where Emily and her expertise come in. As a couple, you go through the catering menu and pick your ideal menu and send it to Emily. She gives you the per/guest cost and any recommendations needed to bring it within your budget, and you tweak from there. The open bar option is also a great deal and reasonably priced. (Our ceremony was on the BMA portion of the upper sculpture garden, but you can have your ceremony at Gertrude’s as well. The rain plan is to have the ceremony in the tented terrace). If you want a beautiful unique setting and don’t want to juggle a bunch of vendors, Gertrude’s is your one-stop shop!

K
Kathleen

Married on 06/08/2019

Magical Wedding at Gertrude's

My husband and I got married at Gertrude's last weekend and the only way to describe the day was magical. Not only is the sculpture garden beautiful, but the staff is extremely professional and ... Read more helpful. They went out of their way to make sure our day was perfect. Gertrude's was so easy to work with and made the whole process easy. If you are looking for a venue with amazing food, look no more. Our guests absolutely loved the food, and so did we! I truly can't say enough good things about Gertrude's I am so happy that we got married there.

L
Laura

Married on 05/25/2019

Perfect Rehearsal Dinner Venue

When it came time to decide where to hold our 60-person rehearsal dinner, I gave my fiance and his mother several options across Baltimore City. Once my mother-in-law experienced John's incredible ... Read more hospitality and flexibility in realizing our vision for the dinner, there were no longer any other contenders for rehearsal dinner venue. On the day of, everything was executed perfectly: the food was well-timed, delicious, and appropriately portioned; the tent and lighting created an intimate, romantic ambiance; decor was refreshingly minimalist and modern; and the bar service was on point. I only wish our reception guest count hadn't exceeded Gertrude's maximum, otherwise we absolutely would have had our reception at Gertrude's as well! Would highly recommend!