Hildene

Manchester, Vermont · View map · Visit website

About Hildene

Hildene, built by Abraham Lincoln’s only son to survive to adulthood, is a museum and wedding venue located in Manchester, Vermont. This historic, 24-room mansion sits on 500 acres and is home to the oldest residential pipe organ in the country. Hildene also features the Hoyt formal garden, carriage barn, Rowland Agricultural Center, 12 miles of walking trails, Cutting and Kitchen gardens, rolling meadows, and an observatory. With space to accommodate groups of up to 200 guests, Hildene offers the unique opportunity to hold your wedding ceremony and reception alongside a legacy of rich American history.

Facilities and Capacity

Hildene offers three indoor and outdoor event spaces. The 8,000-square-foot Georgian Revival mansion was completed in 1905 and features 24 bedrooms and eight bathrooms. Hildene’s restored formal gardens and terrace overlook the nearby mountains and valley below. The property’s largest space, the Event Tent, seats 200 guests and features a prep kitchen and restroom facilities.

Event planning, rentals, use of the bridal suite, and bar services are all provided in-house. Hildene’s Wedding Director, Carmine Cole, will be on hand to oversee every detail of your special day. Parking is available on site, and the venue is wheelchair accessible. Your rental includes an altar or arch, dance floor, lighting, tables, tent accessories, and a tent. Lily of the Valley is the venue’s exclusive florist. Barware, china, glassware, flatware, and linens are available on site. Hildene holds a liquor license and offers the following bar services:

• Bartenders
  • Premium liquor
  • Specialty drinks
  • Specialty wine

Cuisine

Pangaea Restaurant is the property’s exclusive caterer. Pangaea offers a variety of cuisine and service styles, including but not limited to the following:

• Buffet
  • Servers
  • Stations
  • Tastings

History

Robert Todd Lincoln, the only surviving son of President Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln, purchased the land for a summer home in 1902. He had first visited Manchester with his mother as a young child. Many years later, when he was President of the largest manufacturing company in the U.S., The Pullman Company, Robert returned to Manchester. The Georgian revival mansion was completed in 1905. The mansion, land, and 13 accompanying buildings were occupied by the Lincoln family until 1975. In 1978, the nonprofit organization Friends of Hildene raised the money to save the mansion and land from developers and began to carefully restore the estate.

Location

Hildene is located in Manchester, a small town in southern Vermont. Manchester is home to multiple restaurants and hotels as well as year-round outdoor activities. The nearest major airports are located in Boston, New York, Burlington, and Hartford.

50 Reviews for Hildene

50 Hildene Reviews

J
Featured
Julie

Married on 06/01/2019

Beyond my wildest dreams

A picture perfect venue! Carmine, Sheila and their team went above and beyond to make sure we had the perfect wedding. Not only is the team incredibly responsive, but they're proactive and had answers ... Read more to questions I didn't even know I had. Their preferred vendor list and exclusive vendor relationships with Lily of the Valley Florist and Pangaea Catering made planning a breeze (Both of which exceeded my greatest expectations). Carmine is so familiar with all the vendors he became their point person for the day and took any and all stress off my plate. I briefly panicked during the (last minute) after party that I had forgotten to have the buses stick around to bring everyone home, but despite the wedding being long over and it being well past midnight, Carmine immediately picked up my call and remedied the situation within minutes. I showed up to Hildene on Friday for the rehearsal with a car full of favors and miscellaneous details and returned again on Saturday for the wedding to see my entire vision perfectly realized with no detail left to chance. Our guests were in awe of the mountain views and beautiful gardens and were eager to take a look inside the historic home. And the seasonally permanent tent offers a beautiful blank slate to make your own while also offering a real brick floor and beautifully maintained restrooms. It was the best of all worlds! I was going for "Vermont Elegance" and that's exactly what Hildene achieved. Throughout the night and the days following there were resounding exclamations of "Best wedding ever!" and Carmine and his team along with this breathtaking venue made it all possible!

R
Rebecca

Married on 07/04/2019

fairy tale wedding

My husband and I got married at the Hildene in July and it was a a literal dream. It was more then we could have ever imagined. Everyone told us the venue was the best they had ever been too - the ... Read more green mountains in the background, breathtaking gardens, tent, setting, everything was perfect. The setting really speaks for itself and you need little decorations for ceremony and tent. We met the Hildene's wedding coordinator Carmine in December - 18 months before we got married at the Hildene and we immediately knew that was where we were going to get married. Not only was the venue amazing in December (so we knew it would be even better in the summer) but Carmine was so helpful from the beginning, recommending vendors, providing advice on decorations he liked, suggesting timelines etc. and the day before the wedding he met us to take the decorations we had brought and set them up exactly how we imagined - even the morning of he met us to take some extra decorations to the tent for us. The Hildene and their team were perfect - you will have zero regrets choosing the Hildene as your wedding venue.

Allie
Allie

Married on 06/29/2019

WITHOUT A DOUBT, the best wedding decision we made was Hildene!

Where to begin- I worked for Hildene as a member of their waitstaff in college. Years later, I came back to the venue with my fiance and our families. From the moment we drove up the driveway, Hildene ... Read more was the answer to all of our hopes and dreams. The largest reason Hildene was an easy decision for us was the level of confidence I had in the venues execution and to me, that is the most important factor. I remembered the detail and professionalism that went into every wedding I had worked so many years ago and it stuck with me all this time. Today, Carmine greets all his guests with a genuine smile and warm welcome each and every time. Truthfully, we began greeting Carmine with hugs every visit and my Mother and Grandmother still talk about everything he did to be of assistance in all capacities. Carmine went ABOVE and BEYOND to meet every need we requested from escorting my Grandmother in a wheelchair throughout our rehearsal walk through and the big day itself, answering all texts and emails promptly and with the utmost level of customer service. As a previous server for years, there is no comparable quality to top notch customer service across the board. Every single question or situation we asked of his team was well thought out and organized and even provided us with opportunities to improve our wedding in ways we had not considered. Carmine and his assistant, Shiela attended all floral meetings, was cc'd on all vendor requests and this provided our families with the confidence Hildene truly was no rookie, quite truthfully the opposite; they are wedding experts. Their suggestions and guidance from everything from cocktail table layouts, the flow of our ceremony, floral arrangements, escorting guests to dinner, managing our timeline and working with our photographer and videographer was seamless start to finish. There are not enough words of praise or gratitude we can express for Carmine and his team at Hildene. Our wedding was the most breathtaking sight myself and ALL of our guests had ever seen. We still cannot stop receiving reviews from our guests that span coast to coast about everything from the tent, to the level of service, the views, the gardens and the fluidity of our special day. The best decision we ever made was visiting Hildene years later and deciding that was the spot we must have our wedding. Do yourself a favor- meet Carmine and take in the venue for yourself. I promise you will not regret it. Thank you for everything Carmine and Hildene, we love you!!