Historic Boxwood Inn

Newport News, VA · View map · Visit website

About Historic Boxwood Inn

The Historic Boxwood Inn is a hotel wedding venue located in Newport News, Virginia, which also serves the Hampton Roads area. This charming venue dates back to 1896, when it served as the family home of Simon Reid and Nannie Cooke Curtis. Then, many years later, JJ Murray and his wife Lisa found out that this historic gem was about to be auctioned off. This couple had often visited the inn and celebrated many special events inside. JJ and Lisa purchased the inn, and began renovations to restore it back to its former glory. Today, it is proudly named as a National and Virginia registered Historic Landmark, and provides couples with an unforgettable setting in which to begin their new life together.

Facilities and Capacity
During its repainting and renovation process, the team was careful to retain the Victorian style both outside of and inside the venue. Couples are welcome to exchange their vows or host their reception out on the lawn. If you like, tents, which are climate controlled for your comfort, can be set up and used as well outside. Inside of the Historic Boxwood Inn, couples will find an event sunroom if they would like to add a bit of the outdoors while enjoying the comforts of staying indoors. This space can easily accommodate up to 70 of your friends and family. There are also spaces set aside specifically for the bride and bridesmaids and groom and groomsmen to prepare in. If the newlywed couple would like to spend the night, they can do so in the elegant Bridal Suite. The property also boasts a variety of other themed guest rooms that the wedding party is able to stay in such as the Nanny’s Suite, Traveling Salesman (Train Room), and General Pershing’s Room.

The Historic Boxwood Inn is ideal for hosting not only the ceremony and reception, but also the bridal shower, engagement party, and rehearsal dinner. To make the planning process easy, the team can provide you with all inclusive package options as well as share a list of preferred vendors. Couples are able to request setup and clean up assistance as well as select from the venue’s available event items:

• Aisle markers

Featured
Peter

Married on 09/23/2017

Cenzalli Photography

We had a wedding we photographed over the weekend and it was absolutely beautiful! Everything was set up very nicely and on point. Would definitely recommend this venue to new clients. Read more We had a wedding we photographed over the weekend and it was absolutely beautiful! Everything was set up very nicely and on point. Would definitely recommend this venue to new clients.

J
Janet

Married on 06/06/2014

I am very late in writing a review for our son's wedding rehearsal dinner but it was a total success. We met with Kathy and her son and she made sure that we had everything we needed. The food was ... Read more delicious, the decor was unique and everyone in attendance was so impressed with the venue. Our guests from Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Geogia as well as Virginia could not stop giving compliments on the location, food, service, etc. It was a perfect night for a perfect send off for our son and new daughter-in-law. We highly recommend for anyone who is looking for quality food, service, assistance and quaint location for an event to book the Boxwood Inn. You will not be disappointed.

K
Kristin

Married on 10/13/2013

I was very nervous about booking a reception venue and am SO glad that I chose the Boxwood Inn B&B! Kathy took care of everything from linen rentals to catering--and even had a variety of centerpieces ... Read more for me to choose from for the tables. This made my end of planning much easier as I knew that Kathy had everything under control. The food was amazing--we got so many compliments from our guests on the food and atmosphere. I highly recommend attending one of Kathy's sampling events to taste the catering options. We had 75 guests and used the entire indoor space (parlors, general store and back porch) for the reception. They also hold outdoor receptions and ceremonies which would accommodate a larger party, but I'm very glad we booked everything indoors as it poured rain on our wedding day. We held a smaller rehearsal dinner there the night before and were so pleased at how intimate and comfortable it was. My family and maid of honor stayed in the B &B rooms over the weekend and loved their stay. I was very pleased with the value of the Boxwood Inn--Kathy worked with my budget and gave me a wonderful wedding weekend with fantastic food! A beautiful atmosphere for an antique or garden wedding--and no worrying!