Langdon House Gardens

Portsmouth, NH · View map · Visit website

About Langdon House Gardens

Historic New England, a historic museum wedding venue in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, prides itself on being Governor John Langodn’s House, one of the finest Georgian residences in the country. John Langdon, who started out as a merchant, then shipbuilder, Revolutionary Leader, signer of the United States Constitution and finally, a three-term governor of New Hampshire, originally built the house for his family. This beautiful estate has been praised by George Washington himself after his visit in 1789. Towards the end of the nineteenth century, Langdon descendants purchased the house and restored it to what it is today. Historic New England is a wonderful place for your wedding, with all of its eighteenth-century charm!

Facilities and Capacity
This beautiful wedding venue features gardens dating from the same era, with restored perennial beds, a 100-foot rose and grape arbor and a pavilion. Couples may host up to 150 wedding guests.

Historic New England offers a bridal suite to ensure the wedding party has a place to enjoy and prepare for the wedding without the stress. It is a gorgeous venue for the couple’s ceremony and wedding reception!

2 Reviews for Langdon House Gardens

2 Langdon House Gardens Reviews

M
Mott

Married on 06/03/2017

We had our ceremony and reception at Langdon House. We had a great experience and highly recommend! The site is beautiful and easy walking distance to our host hotel in the heart of Portsmouth. No ... Read more need for transportation! Additionally those that wanted to keep the party going met at a bar up the street to continue the festivities. Overall, a great time at a lovely site in a great city.

C
Caitlin

Married on 09/26/2015

My husband and I chose the Governor Langdon House for our 9/26/15 wedding, because an organization I used to work for held their annual board dinner here and we were lucky enough to see first hand ... Read more what a beautiful venue this hidden gem is! Our easiest decision was having our wedding here because it was exactly what we were looking for our rustic wedding! Bill was great to work with and so responsive with any/all questions I had and was great about checking in with me to see how our planning was going. The fees included use of the grounds (not the house) and a very flexible schedule of letting other vendors come in and set up, as well as having a rehearsal there the night before and their schedule also allowed us to come in and decorate the morning before our wedding. For any anxious brides out there, this is amazing and eliminated a lot of stress! The fees also included use of the carriage house, which to me was the cherry on top of the cake! Most of our guests were out-of-towners and couldn't stop complimenting on the grounds and how beautiful everything was... which was music to my ears! A few notes for brides-to-be, you need to chose a DJ, caterer, and rentals from their preferred vendors list. However, I found this to be helpful in the planning process. The less options I have to choose from the better! It is also important to note that this is a historic site in downtown Portsmouth. While it was exactly what we were looking for, there are guidelines you need to adhere too when booking this venue, but this should be expected when planning your wedding in beautiful downtown Portsmouth, NH. Happy planning!

Langdon House Gardens FAQ