James Johnson, photographer

Marina del Rey, CA · View map

About James Johnson, photographer

As I begin to write a bit about myself and my photography life I keep thinking about something a client recently said to me. At one point when there was significant chaos going on, the bride turned to me and said that I had the perfect set of skills to do what I do. I was very touched when she proceeded to tell me about my temperament, my expertise and how I rolled with the punches in a fun way. How nice to be appreciated and how wonderful to enjoy a job as much as I enjoy mine.

I use a mixture of styles, from classic portraits and photojournalism to fine art. I am looking for iconic images that will convey the feeling of your wedding in a timeless way and for that I use a variety of cameras and methods. My website goes into more detail about my methodology and I suggest you take a look over there when you are done at Wedding Wire: (www.jamesjohnsonphotography.com)

All packages include unlimited coverage and engagement photos ... and anything else you can dream of. From stunning, handcrafted, leatherbound albums to music video style slideshows the sky is the limit. If you can dream it, we can do it.

6 Reviews for James Johnson, photographer

6 James Johnson, photographer Reviews

P
Patty

Married on 01/17/2016

I’m not sure there are enough superlative words to recommend James. A friend of mine recommended James—her wedding photos looked fabulous, and I also knew her lighting was difficult. My husband and I ... Read more I met with him to see his book and we were sold. Super-cool guy, and super-fun, which we were all about because we had an over-the-top, ridiculous Roaring 20’s theme. We didn’t want the traditional stuff - we wanted more like a big, fun, fancy dress party with a wedding thrown in. We did an engagement shoot at Venice Beach which was laid-back and fun, and we got some great shots which we used in our save-the-dates. We threw a lot of stuff at James for the wedding, though. We wanted nice posed pix of the family / wedding party, a couple of pix that look like they were actually taken in the 1920s, and I wanted him to capture the antics of our crazy performer friends (and family), but also make our non-performer friends and family feel at ease. Oh, and the wedding was an evening wedding, indoors and outdoors (a penthouse apartment with a huge terrace and many rooms for guests to wander around in), in the middle of January…dark dark dark…and we didn’t want him to walk around with a load of lighting equipment. Oh, and we paid for the wedding ourselves and were on a strict budget. All I can say is AMAZING. UH - MAY - ZING. I could not be more thrilled. James fit right into the spirit of the day, capturing the craziness that went on throughout the night, and making us all look fantastic. I’m in my 40’s and I don’t know how he worked this out with available lighting, but these are the first photos in years where I didn’t feel like I need to Photoshop myself!! There are SO many good ones - hard to choose what to put in our photo albums! He caught so many incredible moments throughout the venue and outside - he must have been in several places at once. Plus, his prices are surprisingly reasonable. Seriously, hire James - you will be so happy you did!

R
Reanna

Married on 10/18/2013

James is AMAZING! I cannot say enough positive things about this man. Not only does he have the best personality, being funny, kind and friendly, but his work is exceptional! I am more than happy with ... Read more with the photographs he took at my wedding. He has the ability to capture special moments, all while using his skills to make his photos artistic. I have received dozens upon dozens of compliments about my wedding pictures. Some people have even said they are the best wedding photos they have ever seen. He was very professional and super helpful! He knows weddings, so he was able to help figure out the time frame for pictures and get them done. He was even able to manage my wedding party of 20 people!! He was kind enough to work out a price we can both be happy with. If you need a photographer for anything, you will not be sorry if you use this man!

J
Jackie

Married on 09/18/2010

Great guy, great personality, very creative, very beautiful pictures. A little on the pricier side but VERY worth it! Read more Great guy, great personality, very creative, very beautiful pictures. A little on the pricier side but VERY worth it!