Oak Island Events Venue

Nicole
Nicole Leuci Gilmer

Getting married on 04/03/2020

3.0

Gorgeous for the price but communication...

The price for this venue in comparison to what is in the area is wonderful. The venue is gorgeous and allows enough space and accommodations for up to 150 people. There are multiple areas on the ... Read more property for the ceremony and/or reception. However, communication and professionalism was severely lacking. It would take reaching out to Elizabeth, one of the owners, multiple times to hear anything back. One time after attempting to call her four times and texting her twice, I heard back about ten days after the initial contact. When I tried to politely mention how difficult it was to contact her, she went on about everything going on in her life. I completely understand that, but we are paying you a good amount of money for you to not even be willing to answer a question that I need answered for another vendor. Up until a few days before our wedding she was trying to confirm details and had them all wrong. We had clearly asked when touring the venue if they ever book two events on the property on the same day. I was told no. I was told I could have guests park at the barn and could rent golf carts to escort them up to the venue. When I showed up to set up for my rehearsal, there was another event setting up at the barn. I asked one of the male owners about it and he told me my events parking would now need to be up at my venue, and that people would need to park in the mud. I reminded him what I was told and what I had blatantly asked, and he told me it wasn't in the contract. So, I wasted $1000 on golf carts, and people were parking in the mud like a freaking redneck wedding. After the wedding, I asked to be compensated for that and mentioned that you can see cars all in the background of my photographs. Elizabeth told me I should have hired a better photographer. Our contract said that we needed to vacate the venue by 10:00 P.M. the night of my wedding, but when I had been talking to Elizabeth leading up to the wedding she kept saying it was 11:00, and I just never checked my contract to confirm. So after our send-off at 9:30 the venue people were walking around telling everybody they and all of our stuff had to be out in less than 30 minutes, which ensued in mass chaos from our families packing up and the vendors. That incident is partially my fault for not confirming the leaving time, but it was just another example of communication issues. These were just a few of the incidents that happened during my wedding. Like I said, the venue is beautiful and I think it is a pretty fair price. I would warn to get absolutely everything in the contract. There are four owners of the venue, and I would recommend possibly asking to work with one of the other three owners.

B
Bailey Cochran

Married on 03/30/2019

2.0

Unprofessional owner

I had my wedding here and it is a very gorgeous venue everything was very nice. Elizabeth is the main owner I dealt with and while she was nice on the initial tour she would not respond to any texts ... Read more or calls after we paid our deposit and we had to end up getting on touch with some of the other owners who were very nice. She was very rude on the wedding day. After the wedding, the caterer was boxing up food and Elizabeth (the owner) asked for a plate and after our caterer told her she would have to ask my mom because we paid for all the food she proceeded to just help herself to our leftover food. If you’re a bride and want a helpful venue owner who is responsive and not have to worry about everything being good then this is not the place for you. It’s a shame though because the venue itself is gorgeous.

Oak Island Events Venue FAQ