Designed by the famous William H. Hand Jr., the Schooner Hindu was built in 1925 by Hodgdon Brothers in Boothbay, Maine, for use as a pleasure yacht. She was initially named ‘Princess Pat’ after England’s Princess Patricia of Connaught. Between 1928 and 1938 the boat changed hands and names three times. It was in 1938 that she was purchased by William J. Parker who sailed her to India where she was rechristened ‘Hindu.’ The boat was used to sail spices from India to the United States. During World War II, Hindu assisted the U.S. Coast Guard in patrolling the Eastern Seaboard. With her wooden hull unable to be traced by radar, she looked for German U-boats armed ready with a mounted machine gun and depth charges. After the war, in 1946 she settled in Provincetown, Massachusetts where she was used primarily as a charter vessel and then in the 1960s to help pioneer the whale-watching industry on the East Coast. Despite the boat’s popularity she ultimately fell into disrepair at the turn of the 21st century. In 2006 Kevin “Foggy” Foley rallied enough local support to be able to rebuild the boat to be used as a charter boat in Provincetown in the summer seasons and Key West during winter. Due to a series of unfortunate events, in 2009 the ship became owned by the bank and deteriorated as it sat unused for nearly two years in a Key West boatyard. In 2012, a local architect William Rowan bought Hindu and with the help of family and friends once again restored the boat to its former glory, and the beautiful private charter schooner that it is today.