Silver and Salt Photography

Arlington, MA · View map · Visit website

About Silver and Salt Photography

Hi there! My name is Ben Schaefer, and I am the founder/owner of Silver and Salt Photography based around Boston, with a storefront studio in Arlington. I photograph each and every wedding, and consider it a massive honor to be welcomed into the inner circles of the couples I work with. I approach each day as unique and blend an unobtrusive documentary approach to tell the story of the wedding celebration.

Silver and Salt Photography offers couples an alternative to traditional posed photography. I focus on the joy, hugs, authentic momements and stories from YOUR wedding, rather than a set colledtion of dresses haning in windows and a photograph of shoes.

11 Reviews for Silver and Salt Photography

11 Silver and Salt Photography Reviews

K
Featured
Katie

Married on 07/21/2017

My husband and I cannot fully express how wonderful Ben was as a wedding photographer. From the moment we met Ben through receiving the photos after the wedding, he was nothing but professional, ... Read more responsive, seriously talented, and easy-going. Before the wedding, Ben took ample time to meet with us in person and communicate via email about what we hoped for in our wedding photographer. We wanted mainly candid photos with quite a few family and friend portraits as well. I've been in many weddings where we spent a significant amount of time taking formal portraits. With Ben, we seemed to finish the portraits in under 25 minutes, which was extremely impressive seeing as my side of the family alone has around 100 members. He somehow was able to give direction well while also being laid back about the craziness that comes with capturing photos with so many aunts, uncles, cousins, kids, etc. The portraits came out beautifully, and his candids were phenomenal too. Our wedding ceremony was in a church, and Ben was respectful and completely unobtrusive while still capturing photos from all angles. Our priest reiterated the same to us post ceremony. At the cocktail hour and reception, Ben managed to take photos of all guests--and we had around 180 of them. From our getting ready photos, to walking around Boston Common before the ceremony, through the reception, Ben was fun to be around, and made us feel even more relaxed. We were drawn to Ben's photos because of his photojournalistic approach. He has a unique ability to capture both genuine moments between people at weddings and also artistic shots. I loved the way he played with the lighting in many of our photos. Everyone who has seen our photos has been blown away by them. My husband and I are having a tough time choosing our favorites.

Corrine
Corrine Lin

Married on 11/18/2018

Artistic, professional, easy, fun - perfect!

Ben has such a talent for capturing real, genuine moments from completely unexpected angles. That's what immediately drew me in when I first came across his portfolio. He will absolutely get all the ... Read more obligatory wedding shots - family portraits, decorations, the hanging dress, the preparation - all of that. But what I love the most about his style is his unique perspective and ability to infuse his images with this joyful, even playful, energy. The other really huge thing for me was how professional, organized, patient, and flexible Ben is. My wedding was planned in somewhat of a short timeframe, so a lot of decisions were made last-minute and kind of quickly (at least it felt that way for me!); and Ben was a huge help the whole time. I relied on him to help with our photography timeline a lot, and I also didn't have a wedding planner. So when it came to day-of stuff, I really had to just trust that he knew what he was doing, where he needed to be when, etc. There wasn't ever one snag - from engagement photos, to welcome dinner, to wedding ceremony, to reception - everything went so smoothly! Ben is very responsive. He's able to be collaborative and is always open to new ideas and suggestions, but when I needed his guidance or wasn't sure about something, he gladly provided his thoughts based on his previous experience and then let me make the final decision, which made it super easy to work with him. Then, lastly, though probably most importantly, Ben is just a great guy - super laid back, easy to get along with, fun, funny, and interesting. I think many of my friends and family each have a "Ben" story from somewhere along the way. But, as mentioned in some of the other reviews, when looking through the photos from our wedding, I would say for more than half of them, I don't even remember Ben being there. He is great at just blending in when he needs to but then also playing "director" at other times. Overall, I love how perfectly Ben captured our wedding, but I actually think I'm happiest about having had the chance to work with him at all! He played a huge part in making our wedding (even the planning process) feel so special, which is something that my husband and I will never forget!

Catherine
Catherine

Married on 10/20/2018

Stop looking

It's so hard to find the words to describe just how wonderful Ben has been since we signed our contract. He went above and beyond all expectations—and mine were very, very high. His style is dramatic, ... Read more capturing every detail and moment with an artistic perspective you'd see in an art gallery. He was responsive with inquiries ranging from last-minute scheduling to my body-image concerns. Most importantly, his personality and friendliness made being in front of the camera the easiest part of our day. I cannot possibly recommend Ben enough. Seriously, stop looking for a wedding photographer.