The Clifton

Charlottesville, VA · View map · Visit website

About The Clifton

The Clifton is Charlottesville’s premier boutique hotel, restaurant and wedding venue. We offer luxury amenities and exceptional service on 100 acres of pristine Virginia countryside. Our newly renovated property has been mentioned in Architectural Digest and Robb Report. Offering a modern twist on the historic property.

The Clifton Colonial Revival Manor House, built in the late eighteenth century, at the behest of Thomas Mann Randolph and his wife, Martha Jefferson Randolph, Thomas Jefferson's daughter. In the second half of the nineteenth century, the estate officially received the name, "Clifton", by the Wyatt family. The Clifton was painstakingly renovated in the late twentieth century to become an indelible treasure in Charlottesville, Virginia, including the transformation of historic dependencies on the estate: the Livery Stables, Carriage House, Garden Cottages, and The Collina farmhouse into additional guest accommodations. With historic charm, breathtaking views and modern, yet elegant sophistication, The Clifton has become one of the most iconic wedding venues in Virginia.

Enjoy the offerings of our Executive Chef’s seasonal menus, featuring the bounty of our own organic garden. To accompany your meal, the Wine Cellar is stocked with Virginia’s most celebrated wines along with an extensive selection of global vintages. Our professionally trained staff will provide anticipatory service from your guests check in to check out.

EVENT CAPACITY

• The Manor House - Accommodating up to 100 guests seated on the Terrace and 60 guests seated on The Veranda
  • The Court Tent - Accommodating up to 250 guests seated
  • For Ceremonies - The Front Lawn with seating up to 200, The Croquet Lawn with seating up to 100
  • Rain Plan - Veranda or Tented Terrace (Tent rentals may be arranged for Front Lawn or Croquet Lawn)

ACCOMMODATIONS

Our options include the Manor House with seven rooms and suites; the Carriage House with three rooms – including a two-story bridal suite; the Cottage with two rooms; and the Livery Stables with three suites.

While each room is unique in its design and architecture, what they share are lush, rich interiors and an elegant combination of repurposed antiques, modern furniture, and sophisticated artwork. All are outfitted with fine linens, Malin & Goetz bath products, and modern amenities. Select accommodations have fireplaces, private patios, claw-foot soaking tubs or rainfall showers by Waterworks.

21 Reviews for The Clifton

21 The Clifton Reviews

A
Amanda

Married on 05/28/2017

May 28, 2017 my husband and I had a petite Sunday afternoon wedding at the Clifton Inn. I can not say enough good things about this venue. Fontini, especially is a wedding essential for this Inn!I ... Read more was seriously regretting our decision to marry there as halfway thru our planning the event coordinator was no longer employed at The Clifton. Come to find out she had told us a few things that were not correct, however, from the day they hired Fontini she was on top of it! She made our day stress-free, despite me changing the ceremony location the morning of our 1p wedding! The food was unbelievable. 9 months later I still get cravings for the delicious food we had that day. The ceremony and reception sites were prettier than I had envisioned. After getting ready in the breathtaking Carriage House, my father and I had a special first look in the secret garden. After our ceremony we had a wonderful lunch reception on the terrace with corn hole, bubbles, and jump ropes for the kids. Again I can not speak highly enough of this venue, especially Fontini!

Gutierrez/Lucas Wedding
Christina

Married on 04/20/2017

It was amazing! The staff was so tentative and flexible that when it rained the easily flipped my cocktail hour and my ceremony so that I could still get married outside when it stopped. I can't say ... Read more enough about Fotini and her staff!

E
Emily

Married on 03/03/2017

The Clifton Inn is breathtaking, nostalgic and the perfect back-drop to the start of any romantic fairytale. Absolutely everyone we dealt with was of the highest caliber of kindness, professionalism ... Read more and perfectionism. Speaking of fairytale, we were treated like we were nothing less than the highest of royalty. It was all laid out so perfectly and they made great use out of every inch of that place! Highly recommend.