The Maxwell House

Pasadena, CA · View map · Visit website

About The Maxwell House

The Maxwell House is a historic mansion and wedding venue located in the heart of downtown Pasadena, California. This unique, Mediterranean Italianette-style mansion was built in the 1920s by Marston and Maybury as a private residence for the Maxwell family. It features tile roofing, stucco walls, a strong Palladian entrance, and elaborate detailing. The Maxwell House offers couples multiple indoor and outdoor settings for both their ceremony and reception.

Cost
$6500 Flat Fee. There is no tax added because we are a non-profit entity.

Facilities and Capacity
Couples can host up to 120 guests at this spacious wedding venue. You can say your “I do’s” outside on their beautiful garden patio. This intimate space features lush landscaping, string lights, and a gorgeous, artisan-crafted wedding arch for weddings in 2020 and beyond. In case of inclement weather, you can easily add a pop-up tent to this private oasis. After your ceremony, you and your loved ones can move into the historic mansion for cocktails, dinner, and dancing. You’ll have full use of the house, so you can utilize their dining room, library, foyer, mezzanine, and kitchen as you see fit. Their main ballroom boasts windows facing a rose garden and a grand staircase and entryway, perfect for making a lavish entrance. The 1,083-square-foot foyer features a 12' x 12' dance floor, allowing you and your guests to dance the night away. You are welcome to have your ceremony inside and reception outside as well. You may use the spaces as you desire, so long as no damage is done to the property.

This full-service venue operates the non-profit The Western Justice Center, so your rental fee will go towards supporting programs that promote conflict resolution and social justice. Couples will have private use of the venue for 4 hours on the Friday before the wedding for their rehearsal and 12 hours on the day of the wedding, allowing you plenty of time to set up and relax before your festivities commence. There’s a dressing room located upstairs that you and your wedding party can use to get ready in, as well as plenty of complimentary parking in a nearby lot for your guests. Tables and chairs are included in the rental fee at this venue, along with setup and teardown of the Maxwell House owned furniture. Clients must clean up after themselves, and return the space in the manner which it was given.

Additional services include:

• Cake or food serving cart
  • Indoor AC and heating
  • Lighting and sound
  • Microphone and stand
  • Outside vendors
  • Portable indoor projector and screen
  • WiFi
  • Hand Crafted Artisan Wedding Arch
  • String Lighting
  • Event Tenting for inclement weather only

Other Services
In addition to hosting grand affairs, The Maxwell House is also happy to host intimate elopements. Additional events they will hold include:

• Bridal shower

Daron
Featured
Daron

Married on 04/13/2019

Beautiful location at an amazing value!

The Maxwell House was the perfect location for our wedding. Incredibly affordable for all the that they supply, and in an amazingly beautiful area in Pasadena. The event coordinator, Reid, was always ... Read more so quick to respond to any email I sent and helped us in any way possible. The space inside and outside the venue is so unique for a wedding, which gave our guests the ability to go from one room to another and mingle and socialize. All rooms are filled with beautiful antique furniture, and the venue provides all the folding tables and chairs you would need. The history of the building is also interesting, and the fact that the proceeds went to a non-profit made us feel good as well. All our guests were amazed by the space and surprised by how inexpensive it all was. I would recommend The Maxwell House for any event in a heartbeat!

Asad
Asad Shah

Married on 11/03/2018

Beautiful location for the best day of your life!

Wow, talk about a gorgeous wedding venue, with an amazingly helpful and kind staff to match. We love the Maxwell House and Reid is a champ at being responsive, thorough, and making sure your special ... Read more day really ends up being the best day of your life! My wife and I had been shopping around for wedding venues for about six months. We didn't really have a budget in mind so were open to anything. What we really loved about the Maxwell House is that it had the backyard wedding feel we wanted, but most of all you can choose whoever you want to be your wedding vendors (so long as they're properly licensed and such). THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT! For you grooms out there, or anyone who doesn't really know how wedding spaces work, it's rare to find places that let you choose your own vendor. What a novel concept! Anyways we visited a few open houses and were set on the Maxwell House. When we requested a quote for pricing, I couldn't believe how affordable it was. Now, I understand that this is relative to your wedding budget, but I'll tell you if your trying to have a 80-100 person wedding in a beautiful location, this place is such a deal. LA's hidden wedding venue gem. Anyways, we picked a date and put in our deposit. They have a very easy payment portal so you don't have to send a check or anything inconvenient like that. Also, the staff is amazing! Especially Reid! I think I'd call him 3-4 times a month leading up to our wedding, making sure everything worked, floorpan questions, etc... Anyways he never made me feel like I was being a burden. Also the day before when we were setting up, Reid went above and beyond to make some arrangements that made our wedding so much more beautiful! Highly recommend the Maxwell House and everything about it. Also Pasadena is gorgeous!

Kathryn
kate

Married on 11/03/2018

Stunning inside and out!

The Maxwell House was the only venue I toured after months of online research. Instantly, I knew I wanted to get married there. I loved having the ability to hire my own vendors because we were doing ... Read more an interfaith/multicultural ceremony and had some specific requirements for food, etc. I was really worried about finding an event space that could accommodate all our logistical and personal wants and needs. The space is stunning! We had our ceremony outside and it had a garden/backyard feel to it, as well as an elegant Los Angeles-in-the-30’s look. Inside, you really don’t need any additional décor besides some floral arrangements since the art is so stunning. My only concern was that it was a little dim and we were getting married in November. I met with their preferred lighting vendor, GoGo Sprockets, and we created a false ceiling in the foyer with lanterns strung from the balcony, which was so gorgeous. Also, our photographer, Michael Farmer, specializes in low lighting photography and our pictures turned out great. On a personal note, I was really happy to have my wedding here because of it’s mission. My best friends/bridesmaids are queer women. My family is Korean and Irish Catholic and my husband’s family is Pakistani and Muslim. Getting married in a beautiful, welcome space was a must for us. Lastly, Reid is the best! My husband took over wedding planning and definitely needed help. Reid's professionalism and guidance saved us a ton of stress, especially since we were struggling towards the end. We really can't thank him enough!