The Sanctuary on Penn

Indianapolis, IN · View map · Visit website

About The Sanctuary on Penn

The Sanctuary on Penn is a venue in Indianapolis, Indiana, with indoor and outdoor spaces for wedding ceremonies and receptions. The venue came to be because of the ownership team’s wish to give couples all that they desire on their wedding day. For this major life event, the Sanctuary team wants couples to avoid having to compromise on anything (they want couples to choose what fits their tastes, wishes, family, and beliefs).

Facilities and Capacity
The Sanctuary on Penn offers a banquet hall among its four event-space choices, and it can accommodate anywhere from four to 300 people for events. There’s a bridal suite, which can double as a place for the ladies to get ready but also for the photographer to stage some cool shots before the ceremony kicks off. The venue’s package offerings cover the following items: altar, audio equipment, photo booth, chair covers, dance floor, decor, furniture, and tables.

The Sanctuary on Penn staff builds a relationship with their possible clients starting at the first walk-through visit. Things progress from there with a review of the couple’s dream wedding items; the happy couple gets a list of cost estimates before the Sanctuary staff works with them on what may be in-budget or what may need to be tweaked. They can pick up the pieces for anything that the couples do not wish to handle (like picking a DJ or setting out their DIY centerpieces). Other services include:

• Cake
  • In-house catering
  • Glassware
  • Lighting/sound

Location
The Sanctuary on Penn offers parking spaces and is a wheelchair-accessible wedding venue. For off-peak weddings (typically held January through March and also in December), couples can enjoy a price break on the package cost.

History
The Sanctuary on Penn got its start as a church that was constructed in 1875. Its interior features an ancient Roman ruin design, while the exterior is traditional and ornate.

21 Reviews for The Sanctuary on Penn

21 The Sanctuary on Penn Reviews

Kelsie
Featured
Kelsie

Married on 10/13/2018

All Inclusive - Most Amazing Experience

This venue is incredible. We loved the whole experience working with them and having a multi-room venue with outdoor access, was such a bonus for the value of hosting an event here. We have so many ... Read more great things to say about The Sanctuary on Penn. The staff is great - several of our family members told me how friendly and helpful everyone was and we appreciated the speed and accuracy of all the setting up and preparation of the various points of the night. Scott and Evan made everything such an easy process and we appreciated their efforts to make our entire day perfect. The food - we loved it and our guests have raved about our selection of options an how good they were so we are more than thrilled that we were given the opportunity to customize our meal to our specifics! It was a memorable meal and the quality of the food was above and beyond so many catered wedding buffets - I believe the quality comes in the fact that it is made in house by The Sanctuary's own staff of chefs. Bar Staff was well-loved by our bar-visitors. Overall, our crew enjoyed interacting with the bartenders which was a great plus on the night. Our one complaint was in the Bathrooms - they do have one bathroom near the stage upstairs which worked for handicapped access, however most guests need to use the restrooms which are located in the basement where the wedding party gets ready and keeps their things nearby. Many of our guests drove 40 min to 2 hours directly to the venue for the ceremony and so it seemed, EVERYONE was going to the bathroom beforehand and thus walking down to the basement, seeing me and the rest of the bridal party, which I did not prefer. It would have been nice if the bathrooms could have been partitioned from the rest of the basement to maintain the suspense before the wedding. It was nice, however for the guys to have the ability to go outside and use the little back yard space to hang out, play cornhole and get some fresh air before getting ready. We highly recommend The Sanctuary on Penn for a wedding of up to about 220 - much more than that and it gets to be pretty full during the reception, although we expected 232 and had seating for that many and it fit, just a little more snug than I would have liked. Finally, the All- Inclusive Payment plan - that was the best - made it so easy to feel like the wedding of our dreams was possible and easier to save for knowing there wasn't going to be a lump sum to pay at the end. We decided to use the prefered vendors of the Sanctuary for Florals, DJ, and Videography, so we paid all of them through The Sanctuary as part of our payment plan. We loved how simple it was to work with the vendors and they were all incredibly professional and did such a great job. You can't go wrong with partnering with this venue for your most special events.

Cathy
Cathy

Married on 04/06/2019

Amazing Wedding Venue

The Sanctuary on Penn was an absolute dream of a wedding venue. We held our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception there. Scott and Evan could not have been more helpful throughout the planning ... Read more process and ran things so smoothly on our wedding day. There is nothing more you can ask for that to have absolutely no issues on your wedding day and for things to run like a well oiled machine.

J
Jordan

Married on 12/08/2018

Great venue!

We got married at Sanctuary on Penn last month. We had THE BEST NIGHT! My husband and I met in New York and this building reminds us of the old churches in Manhattan. It was as close as we were going ... Read more to get to a real chruch - his family is Italian Catholic and my family is Jewish, so a religious venue was out of the question. Everything ran smoothly (with one bump in the road of not having coffee brewed for my husbands very italian family), but everything was absolutely perfect. We scheduled our wedding 10 months in advance and met with Scott whenever we needed to. I'm an event planner for a living, so I did a lot of the planning myself. Scott gave us all the vendors they work with and we used almost all of them. Everyone was an absolute dream to work with! Kai was a terrific banquet captain and made sure everything was up to my (ridiculously high) standard. I can't say enough good things about this place! I will say that you have to be pretty self motivated to have your wedding here, but they make it easy and beautiful. I would HIGHLY recommend this venue to anyone getting married. Our wedding was an absolute dream.