The Space Downtown

Charlottesville, VA · View map

About The Space Downtown

Fall 2017 dates STILL AVAILABLE

With this premier location in historic downtown Charlottesville, Virginia, The Space Downtown prides itself on providing an exceptional venue for groups of all sizes. The Space Downtown is ideal for any wedding up to 150 guests!

The Space Downtown was created in late 2010 by owners chefs Tim Burgess and Vincent Derquenne. The two have been partners since 1991, creating their first restaurant Metropolitain which operated in the same location as the Space. It closed in 2003 and the chef pair sold the restaurant but remained owners of the building. In early 2010, the location became vacant and the two decided to open for private parties only.

7 Reviews for The Space Downtown

7 The Space Downtown Reviews

Sarah
Sarah Giek

Married on 05/26/2019

Small wedding reception

The Space was the perfect venue for our small wedding reception. The atmosphere was great; I loved the exposed brick walls and the “lounge seating” near the dance floor, my husband loved the paper ... Read more lantern lights and the outside areas. Everybody loved the food; it was beyond our expectations and we received so many compliments after dinner. Perhaps the best part, though, was working with Laura. She was wonderful. From helping me relax about all the small details leading up to the wedding, to making sure everything was taken care of on the day-of – I’m not sure we could have survived without her! We can’t recommend The Space enough. Truly a 5 star experience!

K
Kristen

Married on 09/22/2018

Perfect Venue for our Rehearsal Dinner/Welcome Party

We used The Space Downtown for our rehearsal dinner and welcome party ahead of our wedding, and had such a great experience! Every step of working with the team was amazing. Tim is a true artist as a ... Read more chef, and was so creative and fun to work with - we really enjoyed sitting down with him to conceptualize our ideal menu. Laura was so organized in helping to pull together all of the details of the event for us. Laura did a cocktail tasting with us for signature cocktails prior to the event, and made everything easy and perfect on the day of the dinner! Laura hung out the whole event, helping to move people from cocktail hour to dinner to the welcome party. The bar staff and servers on the day of were also great, and everything went off seamlessly! We also used Laura as our florist for the event, and she helped us to find the right floral theme to fit our event and did a great job of pulling everything together. All of our guests loved the venue, food and drinks. Everything was delicious for dinner and the venue was perfect to transition from our rehearsal dinner (53 people) to our Welcome Party (100+ people). We had an amazing experience and highly recommend The Space!

E
Elise

Married on 03/24/2018

I rented The Space Downtown for my welcome dinner that kicked off my wedding weekend. I recommend to anyone looking for an event space in Charlottesville, VA to select this venue. The beginning ... Read more communication with Tim was very informative and professional. They have a wide selection on their menu and will spend time perfecting it until it is the way you like. The venue itself is beautiful and does not require too many additional details. For our event we had nearly 40 guests with an open full bar and buffet style dinner. It was incredibly affordable and to us, was worth more than what we paid. The food was AMAZING. Everyone continued to talk about how delicious it was the entire weekend. The staff was attentive and professional throughout the planning and execution. I cannot say enough wonderful things about The Space. You are missing out if you do not select this venue for your next event!