How much does a tuxedo cost?
The average groom in the U.S. spends about $350 on his attire—a price that has gone up over the past few years. If you’re having a more formal or black-tie wedding, a tuxedo is a must. If you attend events that require a tuxedo, you may be better off purchasing your wedding tux rather than renting. You’ll also be able to tailor a purchased tuxedo more fully, which will create a better fitting garment. While wedding tuxedo prices do vary, the average tux cost in the U.S. ranges from $200 to $499.
What are tuxedo rental prices like for grooms?
Grooms who are having a formal wedding but do not plan on wearing a tuxedo again may prefer to rent their tuxedo. Typically, groomsmen rent rather than buy their attire as well. On average, tux rental costs in the U.S. range from $100 to $199.
What does a wedding suit cost?
These days, more than half of grooms wear a suit or attire more casual than a tuxedo. While suits are less formal than tuxedos, they can be worn again more frequently—so it’s often worth it to buy a suit instead of renting one. While wedding suit prices do vary based on a variety of factors, the average wedding suit cost in the U.S. ranges from $200 to $499.
What impacts a wedding suit's price and wedding tuxedo prices?
A wedding tuxedo or suit is an extremely important and special piece of attire—so whether you purchase or rent your suit or tux online or in-store, it’s worth spending a little extra money to make sure it’s perfect. There are, however, factors that can increase wedding tuxedo prices:
- Suit vs. tuxedo: More casual attire, like a suit or a shirt and slacks, will cost less than a tuxedo. If your wedding style is more casual than formal, a suit may be a less expensive option.
- Extra tailoring: A wedding suit should fit perfectly, so tailoring is an essential part of the suit purchasing process. However, any alterations you do beyond the standard adjustments (adding custom fabric lining, for example), will add to your wedding suit cost.
- Accessories: Accessories like cufflinks, vests, and expensive shoes can be a major budget-buster. Try to save on these extra items when possible by looking for sales, etc. and buying items you’ll likely wear again.
What are some ways to save money on a tux rental cost?
When you’re renting a tuxedo, you may not have as many options to choose from in terms of style and fit. However, there are a few ways you can save some money on your tuxedo rental prices.
- Timing: Make sure to start shopping for your wedding tuxedo well before your wedding—at least five months in advance is a good rule of thumb. If you wait too long, you may have to pay rush fees. Also, you will be given a deadline by which you’ll need to return your rented tux—if you are late, you’ll have to pay an additional charge. Make sure your groomsmen return their attire on time as well!
- Group discounts: If the groom and groomsmen will be wearing similar attire, it’s a good idea to rent from the same place. Many men’s attire stores will offer discounts if you rent multiple tuxedos from them—some even throwing in the groom’s tux rental for free! Be sure to do your research and read online reviews of tuxedo rental shops in your area before making a decision.