Back to High Sierra Sounds

High Sierra Sounds Reviews

| Reno, CA See photos, pricing and details

78 Reviews for High Sierra Sounds

Married on 08/18/2018

John was a key component in making our day so special! He was easy to work with, flexible and spot on with our music throughout the whole day! The dance floor was packed all night and our guests are still talking about it. I would highly recommend.

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you, Kayla!!! You guys were so much FUN!!!!!

L
Liz and jared

Married on 10/14/2017

John was the best. He DJ'ed out wedding at Montbleu and he blew everyone away. So many of our guests kept commenting on how awesome he was. John was fast at responding to all our inquiries, sets up a personal event page to add music and wedding details, as acts as the MC of your event. He didnt take a break, kept the music playing all event, and was just a fun guy to have at the wedding. We couldn't have been happier with John as our DJ and highly recommend him to anyone looking for a DJ. Also, his rate was better than others in the area, doesnt charge for set up/breakdown, or charge for driving.

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Liz and Jared!!! That was so much FUN!!!! You guys danced the whole night!!!! Way to go!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Ashley

Married on 09/23/2017

The easiest 5 star review I could give is to John from High Sierra Sounds. He DJ'ed our wedding in September and I give him credit because it was FREEZING in the barn where our ceremony was. I saw him in gloves, ear warmers and a jacket, but he was still kicking out all the great music despite this.
John was fantastic to work with, his website is super easy to use for making payments and picking songs. Working with him closer to the wedding date was great and he made us feel at ease with his organization. It's obvious he has a passion and is great at what he does.
He really look our music suggestions and played songs that were PERFECT for our personalities. He really kept our crowd engaged too, announcing all the milestones for the night with charm. I'd recommend him for any Tahoe-area wedding, he was absolutely amazing.

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Ashley! It wasn't that cold. LOL!!!

Kelli

Married on 09/23/2017

John was the DJ at our Lake Tahoe Wedding in August and he could not have been more WONDERFUL! He did such an amazing job with all of the music to keep people dancing, and his big smile never left his face! You can tell that John TRULY loves what he does, and is incredibly talented. Thank you so SO much John, for making out wedding day truly unforgettable, we owe a good deal of the laughter and memories to you! Ya'll, do not hesitate, if John is available, HIRE HIM! Xoxo - Kelli & Kyle

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Kelli! I have the BEST job ever! I go to work and people dance. How cool is that!!!!

Jessica
Jessica

Married on 09/16/2017

John was great and even found songs we had requested from more obsure artists. Everyone had a blast!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Including me!!! That was really FUN!!!!! Thank you!!!!

Jacob

Married on 09/03/2017

John was our DJ for our 3 Sept, 2017 wedding in South Lake Tahoe at The Landing Resort. He was recommended by our wedding coordinator and he did not disappoint. From the time we booked him until the day of the wedding, he made the whole process very easy. His interactive website makes it very easy to select music and put in all your wedding details. We basically just said we wanted the wedding to be a party and with his music selection it definitely was! If you are looking for a fun, interactive DJ, then go with High Sierra Sounds because John is spot on!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you for your kind words Jacob! That's what I do when you said "I do".

S
Shawna

Married on 07/25/2017

John Thorpe was everything I wanted and more! He really made my wedding day everything I had dreamed of.

A year before my wedding, I attended my best friend's wedding which had the worst DJ I have ever experienced. He was hitting on women, got super drunk, was extremely underdressed, etc. Needless to say, I was a little paranoid and freaked out when it came time to find my own DJ. I bid several DJs in the Tahoe area as well as Sacramento & John was the most affordable & most responsive. I am an advertising producer, so I am very particular about how I want things done. He answered every question I had, did a conference call with me & my husband, & his online service was absolutely perfect for a control freak like me. I was able to input all my song choices in advance & be very specific about how I wanted things the day of.

I can't say enough good things about John. He was professional, kind, a great MC, & is very flexible. He also set everything up flawlessly, which was great because my venue was a bit particular. Highly recommend him!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you for your kind words Shawna. I'm blessed to be good at what I do.

Bryce

Married on 07/22/2017

John, did a great job keeping everyone on schedule, and being attentive when called upon. He even was ready to kill the mic when my brother was going to do a drunken speech! Awesome time up in Bridgeport and keep everyone on the dance floor.
thanks John,
Ann & Bryce

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Ann & Brice! What a FUN time!!!!

N
Nicole

Married on 07/08/2017

John is awesome! Best DJ I've ever seen at a wedding and I'm not just saying that because it was our wedding. I would recommend him to anyone.

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Nicole. That's what I do <|8o)

Brittany

Married on 06/24/2017

John was the most amazing DJ we could ever ask for and are so glad we chose him for our special day. He was incredibly responsive to our emails. Whenever I emailed John, he would either respond that day or the next day. He helped make our day smooth and picked the most amazing songs for the reception. John was able to keep the dance floor lively by judging the crowd and playing songs he knew would make our guests dance. Every time we spoke, John was very lively and sounded excited which increased my excitement level quite a bit! I had zero stress when it came to the music and he even offered to help make sure the timeline stayed on task or if I needed his help with anything else for the wedding. John will make your day even more special! We highly recommend him!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Brittany!!! You made it easy for me to LOVE what I do <|8o)

Jon

Married on 05/06/2017

We had John DJ our wedding at Edgewood in March 2016. John was a fantastic DJ! He was very responsive to our requests, and had a great selection of music as well. We had a close friend sing our first song, and John was there to get her equipment fully setup and make sure it sounded great.

John is a super fun, engergetic guy. He fit in perfectly for a fun wedding celebration. Overall we couldn't have been happier having John DJ our wedding for us. I highly recommend working with John for any DJ needs you have.

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Jon. That was so much FUN!!!!

Anna

Married on 01/15/2017

Wow! We love John! We had a destination wedding in South Tahoe, he was easy to work with, has an easy and advanced website to request all our songs and note when those songs will be played. We had a meeting a few months before the wedding and he asked the important questions to make sure we were going to have a great night without having to stress at all on our wedding day. Very organized! He was "on" the whole ceremony and reception. We never stopped dancing and our guests as well! Our daughter who's 8 danced a few solo hip hop dances and took the dance floor over, John "rolled with it" and accommodated her with all her top pop requests which I thought was very cute! Would hire him again in a second! :)

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

That you Anna! You're such a beautiful family and your daughter can really dance :)

P
Caitlin

Married on 10/09/2016

John was a great DJ! He played great music and everything we asked him to play. His website is so easy to navigate and a great tool. Would highly recommend him to anyone looking in the Tahoe area for a DJ.

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Caitlin! I LOVED being your DJ!!!!!

Married on 10/01/2016

We were very happy we picked John to DJ our wedding. He was responsive from the very beginning. Very easy to work with. He has a user friendly website to use for song selections. You can be as much involved in the music selection as you want. We had John pick the music for the dancing at the reception and he did an awesome job. People were on the dance floor the entire night. We had guests ranging in age from 1 to 90 and he had all ages dancing the night away. As the master of ceremonies he makes sure the night runs smoothly. He made sure we were ready to move onto the next part of the reception. I highly recommended using John as your DJ!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Kayla!!! MAN... It's FUN to be me!!

Ky

Married on 09/16/2016

John was incredible and put on a great evening on music. Our guests loved it and had an amazing night. John put us ease and took care of so much. He made our night so special and we were so glad he was apart of our day. Thanks John!

Thank you Ky!!!

Ashleigh

Married on 09/15/2016

John was amazing! He worked with me on every little detail we asked for. He helped calm my nerves many times! He wss great! And so helpful in picking the right songs based on our personalities for all the special wedding songs you need!

Thank you Ashleigh!

Jeanette

Married on 08/11/2016

John was very kind to my husband and I while planning our wedding. From the very start we truly entrusted in him and gave him mostly free rein and we're so happy we did! Getting married at the top of Heavenly we needed three separate set ups for sound. One for the ceremony, one for outside dancing and one for inside at our reception-this was my husbands biggest concern, however it ended up working out wonderfully. We had such a busy time around our wedding and picking out music and using the online tools John had made it very easy! One of my favorite memories was that the last song John played at our wedding which happened to be our first dance song. This was not planned and a total surprise to us! It was such a special closing to our wedding day made it absolutely perfect. John is a true professional and his experience shows, we are so happy and thankful to have had him be a part of our wedding day!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

WOW!!! Thank you Jeanette!!! That was really FUN!!!!

Katie

Married on 08/06/2016

We hired John for our wedding at Northstar Resort this last weekend 8/6/16 and he did an awesome job! He was the first vendor I booked and he was very responsive to my emails and would call to check in on certain things. He is definitely one of the more affordable djs in the area. I had requested a lot of cover versions of popular songs and he made sure to have them all available for the ceremony and first dances. He provided mics and two sound systems for our event. I didn't give him any specific songs to play for the reception other than just ask for stuff that would make people from all different generations dance. As soon as the dance floor opened it stayed pretty full for the rest of the night. Probably one of the better compliments would be that a lot of my family was really impressed by "the songs I requested", but in reality it was all John and I made sure they knew that :) He also made sure to check in with me before announcements were made so he knew exactly how to say everyone's names, which I really appreciated. Thanks John! Would definitely recommend him!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

THANK YOU Katie!!!! You're such a beautiful couple with GREAT energy. Enjoy your lives together <|8o)

E
eli

Married on 07/15/2016

We had our wedding at zephyr cove, NV, and were planning our wedding from the east coast at the time. John was everything we needed, we reached out to him because of the reviews. Before the ceremony he responded all the time, phone, email, whatever, he has a great system set up for music and payment. You can just add and drop music into a folder, and then he'll arrange whatever you'd like. He had great equipment, good sound, and was always smiling, genuinely happy to be here. Everyone enjoyed him, he did a great job as a pseuo-host, dj, and a great guy to have at your wedding. If you're looking for someone who's professional, communicative at a good price, he's right here. John, thank you! Memories for a lifetime.

C
Courtney

Married on 07/15/2016

He has perfect reviews for a reason! After speaking to him on the phone, my husband knew this was our guy. His website makes it super easy to make payments leading up to your wedding day. You can also make your play list on the website then submit it to John once you're finished. We had certain songs we wanted to play at certain times and it all worked out perfectly. Want a song you can't find in his archives, don't worry, he'll download it. Don't want him to play a certain song, just tell him. He has a great personality and was so fun to work with. I'd be surprised if you found anyone better in the south lake tahoe area!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! <|8o)

R
Rich

Married on 05/28/2016

I would definitely recommend High Sierra Sounds as a DJ/MC for any event. In our particular situation, our original DJ backed out with less than a months notice. I called several companies and John was the first to respond and he took ownership of all our wedding details and ran with it. It was a huge relief to my wife and I. He is very professional and was well liked by everyone. In addition, he has more experience than most of the companies I researched. Overall, I think that hiring John for our wedding with such short notice worked out to our benefit. His company made our special day one to remember. The dance floor was packed all night! His many 5 star reviews doesn't surprise me and I look forward to working with him again. Great job High Sierra Sounds!

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

Thank you Rich!!!! That's what I do <|8o)

H
Heather

Married on 02/06/2016

John was awesome for our wedding this past February! Really fun to work with and very attentive. Love the fact that we could go on his website and chose what misic we wanted. We highly recommend him! Thanks John.

M
Mel

Married on 01/16/2016

John did a great job dj-ing our wedding. He was so helpful picking out songs for the whole night and his website is very easy to use. You can add songs, names of bridal party, make payments, contact him. The ceremony music was just what I pictured. And we danced ALL night to great music during the party. Thanks, John!

Brooke

Married on 07/18/2015

John was phenomenal. We couldn't have asked for a more flexible, personable and passionate DJ.

My husband and I had a destination wedding in Tahoe, as we're from out of state. John went above and beyond to make sure we felt comfortable with the entire process, from selecting songs to deciding on our MC. He even offered to drive up to our venue last minute when we came to town randomly.
One of my favorite moments from the wedding was looking back and forth from the dinner tables to the dance floor and realizing EVERYONE was dancing - including my 85-year-old grandparents.

Thank you! 'n

High Sierra Sounds's reply:

THANK YOU Brooke!!! That was really FUN and your Grand Mother can DANCE!!!

Lindsey
Lindsey

Married on 07/11/2015

John is the BEST DJ!!

John did a phenomenal job DJing our wedding. His professionalism and experience were evident throughout. He listened to our request and he put out a killer playlist. He had everyone dancing on the dance floor up until the minute it was time to leave. He showed up early to set up at no additional charge. He also played the music for our ceremony and provided the microphones. We got so many compliments on the music. He really set the stage for our wedding! He knows how to put on a good show! All of our guest had a blast! John, we can’t thank you enough!
-Alvie & Lindsey