Back to Hoopla! Catering

Featured
Tijana Tuhy

Married on 12/29/2018

Where do I start?

Where do I start? Beyond the food being amazing, the drinks that our guests cant't stop raving about, and the overall attention to detail during our day, I want to say that having Dori at the front of it all was the biggest reason our wedding day was as memorable as it was. Dori's vision, kindness and responsiveness were a trifecta like I haven't seen anywhere, and we feel like we owe her all the kudos in the world. For anyone who's eaten at Food Market/La Marketa, you can rest assured that it's the same mouth-watering quality brought to 100+ of your closest friends when you book Hoopla. Let's face it, Chad is a genius. And the last, heartfelt thanks I have to give is to Hope, who orchestrated everything flawlessly day-of, and was sweet as can be while getting ish done! We love you guys, plain and simple.

Carol
Carol

Married on 11/10/2018

Perfect from beginning to end

Creative, attentive, beautiful, delicious, and top notch service! This is my go-to caterer! It's a given that your event will be flawless!

C
C Espenshade

Married on 10/06/2018

Incredible Food and Service

My guests loved having food from a top rated chef in town. Everything was as good as you get in the restaurant and the servers went with the vibe of the party. Great for a fun night celebrating my husband’s 50th!

R
Randi

Married on 03/10/2018

Top notch!

We had such a great experience with Hoopla. I deal with a lot of caterers through my work and found Hoopla to be top notch in every way. Dori is so attentive and responsive during the planning process. They modified as needed and were super creative. At the party it was super smooth all the way around. From load in to load out. The food was phenomenal. The guests are literally still talking about it (and it was last June!). The service was superb. The displays were creative and looked beautiful. They were just super easy to work with.

A
Arica

Married on 01/07/2018

They catered our wedding

All of the Hoopla staff was amazing to work with from day one! Their menus are so unique and the food is to die for. From the staff to the food they can’t be beat!

Karla
Karla

Married on 05/10/2019

3.6

Food was Amazing. Customer Service Could Be Better

TL;DR - 5 stars for the food! It's amazing and not your typical wedding food. 5 stars for the bartenders, staff, and chefs the day of.2. 5 stars for customer service/interaction. Unprepared bar, unprofessional responses as well as pushy sales tactics leading up to the event.

The Good:
Let me start off by saying the food was amazing. Hands down the best food I've had at a wedding. If you've been to any of the Hoopla! Events or restaurants, it's the same quality that you find there. We're a little over a month after our wedding and our guests are still talking about the food! We did a taco buffet (curated by Chef Kat and Dori), an appetizer station of a charcuterie board, and churros for dessert and had plenty of food for our 90 guests. Chef Kat and Sam were a pleasure to work with and executed our vision perfectly the day of the wedding. If you're looking for a funky take on wedding/event food and aren't afraid to step outside of the typical baked chicken, mashed potatoes, and mixed vegetables that many other caterers were trying to sell us, look no further than Hoopla!

We found a venue that allowed us to bring in our own alcohol and Hoopla! Supplied the bartenders. They were on top of drinks all night and I never saw a line at the bar, even during cocktail hour.

The Not So Good:
Our main POC was Dori. She's extremely responsive and typically got back to us the same day and was always eager to take our calls. Unfortunately, the 3-4 months leading up to our wedding and dealing with Hoopla! Were pretty stressful. On multiple occasions, we felt pushed to add passed appetizers to our menu even after we were told our menu would be more than enough food (it was). At a time when our budget was set and our deposit was already down we were weary of additional and unjustified costs. No less than 4 times we had to tell Dori that we were not interested in passed appetizers. It got to the point where it felt like she was trying to upsell us.

The day of the wedding the bar staff did not have all of the equipment needed for our signature drinks (our email exchange specifically stated that the bartenders would provide the equipment if we provide the alcohol, mixers, etc.). While the bartenders ultimately ran out to get the equipment, working through that situation with Dori was less than pleasurable and her responses were very unprofessional.

Overall, I'd recommend Hoopla! Because of the food. I'd caution to get everything in writing and communicate via email for records when handling the details of the event. Details changed from our final walk-through to the week before the event that could have been avoided if we would have received them in writing right after our walk-through.

Hoopla! Catering's reply:

I am obviously disappointed to hear that the last 3-4 months of planning your wedding with us was so stressful. That feeling was unbeknownst to me. I had hoped that all of my communication, encouragement and coordination with you and eventually with Mary was taking that stress off of you.

When I offered the passed appetizer to you it never intended to to a "push or an upsell". My intention was to have some guests have a bite while they waited on the line for the bar or so they didn't have to wait by the charcuterie. It is something I encourage at all weddings. If it felt like a push, I apologize. I just wish you had said that to me in our conversations, instead of assuming that I was trying to upsell, which was not my intention ever. My intention was to make the experience the best it could be for you and your guests.

Additionally, I am sorry if you felt I was unprofessional on the day of the wedding (assuming you are referring to our email exchange which I have read several times and didn't interpret that way). We/I have yet to have anyone say that about me/us as an individual or a company. Of course, you are 100% entitled to those feelings and if I caused you to feel that way, for that I apologize. I think there was a misunderstanding (in my mind tools were shakers, knives, and wine openers, not a juicer - I thought you were using orange juice and the oranges as garnishes) and as I said to you in my email, our team was on it and the problem was fixed and addressed.

As you can imagine, I take great pride in the work that I do and the service we bring our clients. Fortunately, this is our first review of this nature and I am just sorry that you had the experience you did.