Back to Main Street Station

Shelley
Shelley

Married on 06/22/2019

Spectacular venue!

This historic venue is breathtaking! At our first visit we knew that we wanted to have the wedding there!
Susan welcomed us, showed us around and was just so exciting to talk to. We loved the idea of the "green" room for the bridal party etc to use during the day of the wedding and we really got some beautiful extra pictures in there.
Speaking of photography, the pictures are amazing within that backdrop of the train station! We rented the smaller section called the head house (130 guest). Its gorgeous with the arched windows and brick etc. The Shed portion was also opened so we had such a beautiful view of the entire place.
The staff was amazing and our wedding planner Amy Marie Events used perfect decor, flowers, and vision for the feel we wanted in the space.
It was elegant, organic, and magical!
Thanks to Susan and her entire staff for making our wedding experience beautifully memorable!

Malena
Malena Zelenko

Married on 12/29/2018

Amazing Wedding Venue

I cannot rave about this venue enough. Main Street Station was a complete dream venue for our December wedding. Our coordinator provided by Main Street, Susan Kennedy, was absolutely the best. She was professional and prompt, but always made us feel special. Every hiccup before and during the wedding, she handled with ease. Susan was patient and kind, giving us many tours throughout the process. She is extremely knowledgable about the history of Main Street and remains proud of its publicity. I would recommend this venue to any couple seeking a spectacular and chic wedding

Caitlin

Married on 12/16/2017

We wanted to have a very "Richmond-y" vibe to our wedding and this was the perfect place. I worked with Susan as a point of contact. She was lovely. The new shed is such a great addition and downstairs is perfect for cocktail hour! I did not use the bridal suite, but my caterer did take advantage of the kitchen. We loved having our wedding here!

Main Street Station's reply:

Caitlin, thank you for the wonderful review! It was a pleasure working with you and wishing you all the best on your new journey of life together!

User4609152

2+ years ago

Main Street was the very first place we looked at, and we knew instantly that it was perfect for us. Nora was very helpful (and patient! ) as we worked out details, knowing we wanted to have both the ceremony and the reception in one place. There are a few restrictions as it is a historical site (such as no glitter, no hanging anything from the walls, no sparklers), but frankly they helped streamline a lot of decisions for us. When we had our walkthrough we had a bit of a construction scare-word had come out that we may not have access to the concourse-but between my wedding planner and my mom complaining, plus quite a few other brides whose events would be affected, the MST staff was able to work with the construction company and assure the the space we had contracted. They worked seamlessly with our caterer and other vendors, and our guests (mostly out of towners) were in love with the architecture and set up for our day. We would highly recommend this venue to anyone who loves the idea of getting married in a city gem!

Caitie

Married on 05/30/2015

Wonderful to work with and an absolutely gorgeous and fun venue! We loved it!

Morgan
Morgan Waller

Married on 05/10/2015

All I had to do was show up!

The title says it all! Main Street Station is so beautiful and iconic, such a perfectly elegant setting, that all I had to do was show up and it was a beautiful event!

It was worth every penny and MSS staff were a pleasure to work with. They event sent me a nice quality poster afterwards, as a thank-you gift.

User4499925

2+ years ago

I can't say enough wonderful things about Main Street Station! The building (both exterior and interior) is breathtaking - such a beautiful setting for a wedding. I did both my ceremony and reception there and couldn't have been more pleased. All of our guests raved about how amazing the venue was - no one had ever been to a wedding in a train station before.

This venue is incredibly affordable as well, which was surprising to me. And because of the natural beauty of the facility, very few decorations are needed, which again saves some money :) There's a lot of little details you have to take care of for this setting (liquor licenses, etc. ) but you'll have someone guiding you through that process so it's really not a big deal at all. By the way, bands/DJ's will LOVE this place - the acoustics are great!

The event staff at Main Street are wonderful - during our event Nora was so helpful and sweet. And security staff were the nicest, coolest folks around.

I am so happy I booked Main Street Station - it was seriously the most stunning, perfect venue!

M
Megan

Married on 10/03/2014

The staff, especially Kristen and Nora, were extremely helpful, and they went beyond what I expected of a venue's event coordinator and staff. Kristen suggested the best and most reliable vendors, and we LOVED all (cater, florist, etc.). Nora suggested ideas for the wedding, such as using glow sticks for our exit. They are wonderful, and I cannot say enough about their expertise, professionalism, flexibility and creativity!

D
Denise

Married on 12/31/2013

Main Street is such a gorgeous venue! I definitely recommend having your wedding here, especially if you are a Richmond native. You have to bring in all of your own vendors, but I actually thought it turned out better that way. We were actually able to arrive by train and be announced by our dj from the back entrance; it was very cool!

Crystal

Married on 10/07/2012

Main Street Station is a beautiful venue and worked out perfect for our wedding reception. Their staff was great to work with and very straight forward about requirements and limitations. I really appreciated the consideration they took by not charging us when our rental vendors made a delivery mistake. I would definitely consider Main Street Station for future events!

R
Rebecca

Married on 07/11/2015

The staff at Main Stret Station is great with working with individual brides and truly is at your service when it comes to your big day! Though there are many procedures that Main Street Station must follow, it is a one of a kind wedding and reception venue!

E
Elise

Married on 05/25/2013

My husband and I chose Main Street Station for our wedding venue for many reasons... Not only is it a gorgeous venue, but as a bride you don't have to stress about rain, it's conveniently located for any out of town guest, it's wheelchair accesible even though it's a historic building, and one of my favorite things was that I could use my own vendors and choose whoever I wanted. In addition with Main Street's architecture you don't have to spend tons of money on decor and arrangements because it's already stunning. Since being married at MSS, I have referred many friends there for their weddings or portraits and would recommend it to anyone that needs a beautiful venue with a professional staff.

Thank you Diane and Main Street for being a part of such a special time in our life! Elise and Matt

Cindy

Married on 11/07/2014

Actually our event was a rehearsal dinner which was not an option in the drop-down menu. You should consider adding that event. Everything about Main Street Station and their staff was wonderful from the first day we met to the end of the event. They were professional, personable, helpful and felt like family. I particular appreciated the checklist given to us when the contract was signed. It provided expectations and the due dates for each step as the event grew closer. It was most helpful.

H
Heidi

Married on 03/31/2012

Diane Lillo was our contact person at Main Street Station and was very professional. We loved the building from the start, especially since we love our city of Richmond and wanted to highlight it's history and impressive landmarks (our ceremony was at Tredegar Iron Works, alongside the James River, by Brown's Island). The train station provided a large room downstairs for cocktail hour (standing room for ~100 people) and then seating room for 120-130 people upstairs. There are 2 side rooms that can be used a multitude of different ways (we had food stations in one of them and tables in the other). There was a good area for the bar, lots of room. The marble columns and floors are stunning, as were the extremely high ceilings. There is a nice balcony for people to go outside for a breather (no smoking), and we decorated it with cute luminaries... That reminds me, we had to use all battery-operated candles, NO real one :-/ There were definitely some strict rules involved in using this venue, but it was WORTH IT, nothing crazy. Check them out and tell Diane that Heidi sent you!

User2580914

4.3

Such a beautiful venue! You literally do not have to decorate at all. We were in love with the set-up. We had a cocktail buffet reception and the space is definitely big enough for a crowd of 120-130. The coordinator was always responsive to emails and answered every question we had. You'll have to do a little legwork with getting event insurance and an ABC license if you provide your own alcohol, but that's really not too difficult. Highly recommend for a unique wedding/reception space!

K
Kera

Married on 11/11/2018

Magical Venue in RVA

Main Street Station is magical in its own right. As a wedding venue, it does not disappoint. It is stately, classic, elegant, and the epitome of Richmond charm. We were honored to marry at such an iconic and historic location. The fact that it is a functioning train station only added to its appeal. The train arrived a few times during our ceremony, and our guests thought we had orchestrated it.

The Headhouse proved the perfect amount of space for our 125 guests. The newly renovated Shed is better suited for larger parties, and we were concerned that the space would swallow us up. One point of advice: if you reserve the Headhouse, try to confirm that the Shed will not be booked for the same date and time. A competing event can easily overpower your wedding. If the Shed is booked, do your best to determine the type of event, the duration of the event, the entrance and exit pattern of the event’s guests, and how your area and their area will be separated. If possible, try to coordinate with the other event ahead of time to ensure you both coexist happily.

Unfortunately, another party reserved the Shed for the same time as our wedding, and we were unable to coordinate with them beforehand. It was less than ideal to the say the least. Though we were told that the other party would provide pipe and drape to divide the space, we didn’t learn until a month before the wedding that the pipe and drape would not be at the border of the Headhouse as we requested. We had to order our own pipe and drape at the last minute to ensure our wedding wouldn’t be visible to passengers and other guests. What’s worst, the other event started sound check moments before the bride’s entrance. We complained, and the event coordinator got the noise to stop just in time.

All in all, things worked out. Though we had to have an intense conversation with Carolyn Daughtry, our MSS event coordinator, we’re still pleased with our choice of venue. Reserving the station was easy; and having the flexibility to choose our own vendors was an added bonus. The only drawback was sharing the space, which would have been better a situation if we had, had the opportunity to communicate and coordinate with the other event ahead of time. We offer our experience as words of advice—not to scare you away. Book Main Street for your wedding venue, but be well-informed about their rental policy and reach an agreement with the other party ahead of time should the space be double-booked on your date.

User3233517

3.4

The place is beautiful and well maintained. The staff is great and even went of their way to call us after we left the alcohol at the site after the wedding. The drawbacks are that you are in a public space and the building doesn't close to visitors until half an hour before your rental time. People were not respectful and in fact broke some of the ceremony items set up for my wedding. There were people letting their kids try to eat candy from my candy table and then allowed them to run up and down the aisle. I was cleaning up sand, glass and my aisle runner in my wedding dress and hour before I was supposed to walk down the aisle. When I did ask one of the people to use a different door (instead of the one that was literally in the middle of my ceremony set up), she yelled at me (again I was in a wedding dress). When I was walking down the aisle, all I could think about was how mad I was about this lady yelling at me and the kid that broke my sand ceremony votive.

This is a great place, just be very aware that it is a public building and there are rude people in the world who do not respect your things.

M
Sarah

Married on 06/07/2014

2.2

Although our wedding was everything and more we dreamed of... And Main Street station was my first pick, we were extremely disappointed with the event planner and they breached the contract which we had agreed to a month before our wedding which caused a major unexpected change. I would not recommend this venue without a planner. We had a planner and they still were very difficult yo work with.

Main Street Station's reply:

We are sorry you feel this way and have researched the complaint. We find the contract was upheld and security deposit was returned. We are happy to hear things were beautiful and you are now happily married! Best wishes to you both!