Back to Thornewood Castle

M
Featured
Michon

Married on 07/14/2017

My husband and I feel so lucky to have been able to get married at Thornewood Castle. Every inch of the property is breathtaking. Our guests really enjoyed walking the grounds, checking out the details inside and out. We didn't want a huge wedding, but we did want a place that was beautiful and had character. Thornewood gave us everything we wanted in a venue.

Thornewood Castle's reply:

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We are thrilled that your special day was all you hoped for. Congrats again Michon and Noah! We hope to see you again for your anniversary!

Destiny
Destiny

Married on 05/23/2019

Absolutely amazing!

This was a dream come true hands down! We will definitely be coming back for our anniversary as well! The wedding was magical and at the end of the day the presidential room was breathtaking! They made sure everything was perfect and helped out a ton! Definitely recommend 100% ^_^

Sondra
Sondra

Married on 04/28/2019

Thornewood castle!!

The castle is beautiful inside and out. We decided on an indoor wedding since both the groom and I would run from the altar at the first sign of a bee so having it indoors made sense. Also since it will be at the end of April you never know what the weather will be like. The staff that gave us the tour were very helpful answering all of our questions and once we agreed we wanted the wedding there gave us a large packet with info including a list of vendors that they know well but you are free to hire anyone you want it doesn't have to be from the list. She said people have had pizza delivered, bbqs, potluck style, all kinds of stuff, the only thing is things have to be ready without the use of a kitchen since theirs is very small. But overall a wonderful place that has staff ready to help with any questions or concerns.

D
Diana

Married on 08/24/2018

My daughter and her husband were married in the sunken, secret garden, followed by a cocktail hour on the front lawn, dinner lakeside, dancing inside the castle, followed by sparkler send-off. The venue is just gorgeous and the experienced staff were top notch to work with. A wonderful experience from initial walk-thru, throughout the planning process to the actual event. It was whimsical, sophisticated and magical. Highly recommended.

J
Jeannette

Married on 05/19/2018

This is a beautiful venue! I loved that we would have a gorgeous ceremony - rain or shine! It was nice weather for the ceremony - but clouded up and rained a bit later. We still got incredible photos. The staff is very friendly and worked to make sure that the entire day fit our vision.

The entire wedding party stayed at the castle that night. Everyone raved about the rooms. A couple of our guests have food allergies and Thornewood accommodated them easily - and their food was delicious, too!

We highly recommend Thornewood Castle and are looking forward to returning for our anniversary!

Thornewood Castle's reply:

We loved working your event, it was flawless! We can't wait to celebrate your anniversary with you. Thank you for choosing to add to our home's Love Story

C
Christi

Married on 03/09/2018

By far the best place in the PNW to get married

Thornewood Castle's reply:

Thank you for adding to our home's love story! We were so glad to have a part in your beautiful event. We wish you many happy years together!

Euli Marie

Married on 11/09/2017

Thornewood Castle was the best venue for both our wedding ceremony & reception. It was perfect for our simple, romantic, and elegant wedding. There’s no need for a lot of decorations. Every angle is picture perfect. Even the staff are very convenient to work with.

Thornewood Castle's reply:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such an awesome review! We work really hard to make sure everything is as perfect as you imagined! Congratulations on a beautiful wedding, and thank you for letting us be part of it.

karla

Married on 10/02/2015

This is the most beautiful and romantic place & I am so happy we had our wedding here. Luckily we were able to have our wedding done in the English sunken garden and even though it was cloudy, it was still so beautiful. The staff at Thornewood were very gracious and so nice to work with. I just cant say enough about this venue. So beautiful and you don't need any real decorations, as this place is just beautiful on its own. Me and my husband also stayed the night in Annas Suite, which is amazing. Loved this place, perfect place for a wedding. THANK YOU THORNEWOOD/ we have so many good memories of our wedding and look forward to coming back

Karla and Joseph Carlson

Thornewood Castle's reply:

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We are thrilled that your wedding was as you hoped it would be. Congrats again Karla and Joseph! We hope to see you again for your anniversary!

A
andrew

Married on 09/07/2014

Beautiful venue, very helpful staff that were there but not highly visible.

Many of our guests have told us they loved the place and thought it was a wonderful choice. The sunken garden worked perfect and had an amazing backdrop for pictures and ambiance.

We stayed the night and were the only guests in the building so after all the guests were gone, the owners turned the lights on in the garden. We sat on the steps we just got married on and enjoyed a glass of wine as we reflected on a wonderful day.

I can honestly say have no complaints...

H
Hannah

Married on 07/11/2014

We had our wedding at Thornewood Castle and couldn't have imagined a more amazing venue to marry my husband. The owner and staff were so helpful and caring. Being married here was the best choice I could have made (besides my choice of groom, of course). It was a dream come true!

C
ciel

Married on 09/07/2013

I couldn't have asked for, found or picked a better venue for our wedding day! Thornewood is the complete package like no other. The venue itself will put your guests in a constant state of awe. The sunken English garden is spectacular in the summer/fall for an outdoor wedding. Also, jaw-dropping. Having our ceremony and reception in the same place was so convenient for us and for our guests, which allowed the day to not drag (like some can... ) and it kept our guests entertained.

Thornewood's staff was incredible. With the rental of the venue comes use of their tables, linens, chairs, staff, parking lots and parking attendants. They worked directly with our other vendors and even the tent people, becuase there was a chance of rain. I wanted a garden wedding SO badly, and the owner, Deanna-worked with her staff up until the last minute to accommodate this. (not only for the ceremony, but where our dinner tables went, inside or out-catering, inside or out, etc etc)
Yes, The prices at Thornewood can be off-putting for some, but honestly-if you have it or can manage it-its worth every single penny and even more. Considering that so many of the included amenities (listed above) would cost you extra anyway-its almost a wash. I visited almost every venue imaginable in the greater Seattle Tacoma area. Thornewood may not be for everyone, but it was most definitely the perfect venue for us, and I have absolutely no regrets after getting married there.

Also, being a B&B, the wedding party stayed the night before, and the bride/groom and so many of the family stayed the night after, which was so nice to relax and enjoy the castle alone after the party was cleared out with your dearest and closest that decided to stay. We were brought breakfast in bed the morning after, which we enjoyed with a view of the garden where we shared our vows of love with the people that mattered most the day before.

I could think of no better place to have spent the best day of my life.

Katie

Married on 08/24/2012

We were able to set up a time to come look at the castle, and that same day we booked our wedding date. They answered all my questions i had through email or over the phone. They provide staff to help with set up and take down. They make sure that everything goes smoothly on your special day! They have people to be parking attendants for your guests. Everything there is soooooooo gorgeous, you really didn't need to have very many decorations. The guests loved to come just for the fact that it was a castle. I have NOTHING to complain about! They had my room all ready for me to get ready in and everything went PERFECT

Thornewood Castle's reply:

Thank you for your review! Our staff works hard to respond in a timely manner to our high volume of emails and phone calls, and it is of utmost importance to us that everything goes smoothly on a bride's wedding day. Thank you for your kind words, we are so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful experience!

Kjersten

Married on 12/22/2011

I love Thornewood castle and I was so pleased to have it as my venue for my wedding reception. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas and they were flexible in taking down different things so I could put up decorations for my wedding. In planning for my wedding it was very helpful to meet with Deanna and get everything planned out for the day. Although some of the staff was a little difficult the day of, and there isn't a ton of parking. I thought it all went smoothly. Knowing the limitations ahead of time allowed for me to plan ahead and let people know to carpool and such. The castle is beautiful and it was perfect for my wedding. It was also nice to stay in the castle that night, because then we didn't have to travel far after to our hotel and the room we stayed in was beautiful.

Elizabeth

Married on 08/21/2011

Thornewood Castle, in my opinion, is and was the venue of perfection. It is stunningly beautiful, the staff are friendly and professional, and the site is epic! My guests were utterly transported, and everyone was saying that it was the most beautiful location for a wedding that they had ever been to. If you want fairy tale, Thornewood is the way to go.

T
Tamarah

Married on 09/03/2010

I got married here september 3rd 2010. We couldn't have chosen a more ideal date for our wedding. Due to the 80+ degree weather we were able to hold the ceremony and most of the reception outdoors in the GORGEOUS garden. Seeing as our wedding was a little unique (we chose a circus theme) the elegance of Thornewood really brought out the class and timeless feel we wanted to incorporate. None of our guests had to lift a finger. They had our tables, chairs, linens, and music set up before we even arrived! I honestly couldn't have asked for a more unique, elegant and careless wedding. Deanna, Miranda and staff helped walk us through all the necessary details and even suggested various ways of arranging to utilize our space and creativity. So, I'm giving thornewood two thumbs up for all their hard work and customer oriented service.

emily

Married on 08/02/2009

It was amazing. I could not image having it any other place. The staff was fantastic when dealing with some challenging guests. You can only have wine or beer but not both and no hard alcohol. This is one of the reasons why we chose the location and it could not have been more perfect. Deanna & the staff made sure the day was flawless.

A
Lauren

Married on 11/08/2008

The castle itself is so beautfiul inside and out, that not much extra decorating is required.. Which was a huge plus when it came to our budget! The owner & staff were extremely nice and knowledgable. They've done many weddings, and can recommend various vendors they've worked with in the past if you're still struggling to find a caterer, wedding cake artist, D. J, etc. We had such a wonderful experience... Our wedding guests are STILL talking about what a beautiful wedding it was.. And my new husband and I will have fond memories of that day for many years to come!

Kristen

Married on 07/01/2017

We wanted a unique and beautiful space for our guests to enjoy. Our wedding had about 130 guests and it was the perfect space. If you want the most of your experience at Thornewood, pay for extra hours for that day. Spend the night the day before and night of. Read your contract word for word and ask for what you want. They are easy to work with but have strict rules set in place to protect this beautiful place. I also highly recommend using a DJ/MC from their preferred list- trust me, it will make your life so much easier!

Thornewood Castle's reply:

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are glad you enjoyed your event with us and hope you have a happily ever after.

L
Layla

Married on 06/27/2015

We held our wedding at Thornewood Castle and can't think of a more incredible, romantic setting anywhere. The grounds are immaculately maintained and the home is full of rich history and beautiful artifacts. The owner was so friendly and even got a little teary with me during our first visit to take a look.

Our wedding was held in the beautiful sunken garden and reception outside on the end and back of the house with a view of American Lake. Because the grounds were in full bloom, we didn't have to bring flowers in to decorate the spaces and only had to do bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres.

We opted to stay overnight in Anna's bridal suite and the bed was SO comfy! The room is beautiful and spacious with a small kitchenette (fridge, sink, etc) which was pretty handy for a late night snack. The only issue that we experienced is that it took about 20 minutes for hot water to start flowing and the room only has a bath with a handheld shower head. We easily overlooked this and chalked it up to the charm/age of the building. It was 90F outside but there was a wonderful air conditioner in the room so we were really comfy.

We went with vendors that were recommended by Thornewood (Snuffin's Catering, Wallflower Photography, Julia's Florals) and we loved working with each of them. It really helps to work with vendors that know Thornewood and have worked together before as protecting this beautiful estate means they have a rules that these vendors are already aware of.

Tips: Getting in touch with someone from Thornewood is always better via phone than email.

You can't go wrong with any event at Thornewood... It is truly breathtaking. We will be back to celebrate many anniversaries!

H
Heather

Married on 09/13/2016

We would not have had our wedding anywhere else! It was phenominal! Incredible! Perfection! Everyone loved it including us! It doesn't take very much decorating if any since the castle itself is breathtaking! I know it's a little pricier then some venues but it is so worth it! It helped make the wedding spectacular! It was a dream come true!

Thornewood Castle's reply:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a wonderful review! We feel privileged to have been chosen to be part of your special day. Congratulations and best wishes!

User6708068

2+ years ago

Thronewood Castle is a beautiful wedding venue. The castle, garden, and grounds really speak for themselves. You don't have to spend as much on flowers and decor because everything is already so beautiful and ornate. Stephanie was great to work with. She was patient with our many questions, fast at responding by email, and really helped make everything run smoothly on the big day. No need to worry about a contingency plan for weather because they will move everything inside for you. The only thing is that we would have liked to get ready on site, but all the rooms were booked the night before, so plan and book early.

Thornewood Castle's reply:

We are so glad you had such an awesome experience at the castle and we were able to make it as smooth as possible. Congrats on a beautiful wedding and thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful words about us!

User3774385

2+ years ago

I loved this Venue! Of course it rained as soon as i got down the aisle haha but everything was so beautiful. I have to say they do have a lot of rules and time restrictions but it worked out for me.

Katie

Married on 01/01/2010

Excellent place to have a wedding. It was perfect!

Avery
Avery

Married on 08/24/2018

Elegant, Historic, Fairytale Wedding Venue

My husband and I held our wedding at Thornewood Castle August 2018. I selected Thornewood because I had a vision in mind of an elegant, fairytale, destination wedding in Europe without having to leave WA. Thornewood Castle was stunning and fit our whimsical, sophisticated, Scottish highlands/classic garden wedding theme to a T. The grounds are stunning English garden style, beautiful statues and spectacular architecture and decor inside and out. The location on American Lake was lovely as well. Our guests are still talking about how very beautiful everything was, the garden is just to die for! Inside the beautiful wood, paintings, staircase, fireplace, stained glass windows and statues complete the feeling of being in your own classic fairytale. Plenty of room inside and out, we had a guest count of 130. Leanne was a good contact, responsive and clear and the walkthrough of the venue was helpful. I would recommend having a day of coordinator of your own to help coordinate your event though.

Thornewood is very upfront about what the do and do not allow, we were willing to be ok with only having music outside during the ceremony and their strict start and end times, as the pros of hosting our wedding at this venue mattered more. Be cautious of your guest count/adding extra hours/ knowing that they do not allow you or vendors to be on the grounds before the time you’ve paid for. This is why I gave three stars for flexibility. To others this might be something to consider.

My guests had an amazing time, we are currently gushing over the photos. My husband and I stayed the night at the Castle in the Presidential Suite, the room was absolutely gorgeous with a huge bed, view of the lake, and hot tub bath. Only other note, I have Celiac Dusease, so no gluten, and I am severely allergic to dairy and eggs. For breakfast i was assured that they would make a meal especially for me, but I was served toast, eggs, and yogurt... All in all I still give Thornewood Castle five stars and would highly recommend. It was the most beautiful venue, every place I looked at afterwards completely paled in comparison.

M
Madison

Married on 07/19/2018

Thornewood was a dream-- the venue was beautiful, staff was helpful, responsive and answered questions promptly. We added two extra hours and wish we had gotten more, the day flew by. We stayed the night of the wedding and they upgraded our suite so that was really nice! They provide groomsmen and bridesmaids rooms for the time you have the venue rented. They have a list of preferred/ recommended vendors, use it. It helps when your vendors are familiar with the venue, Thornewood is also a Bed and Breakfast & part of a neighborhood, so there are several rules and restrictions (nothing unreasonable).

Thornewood Castle's reply:

We are so grateful that you chose to celebrate with us and that you enjoyed your wedding so much! Thank you and we hope you have a happily ever after.