Search discussions
Mary

Mary Dedicated

on Jan 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM

Issue with Plastic Cups at Cocktail Hour and During Open Bar

I'm having a pretty formal wedding and reception at a country club. The caterer provides glassware for all the tables but, because it's a country club and will have outdoor accessibility, the bar cannot have glassware so all wine/cocktails/beer will be served in clear plastic cups during cocktail hour and during the open bar. Unfortunately, glassware is not an option due to venue limitations.

Will a basic, clear plastic cup clash with the formality of the event? Is it worth me investing in nicer disposable wine and cocktail drinkware? And, finally, how may wine/cocktail cups should I order per adult, should I choose that option?

Flag

Replies (24)

Jacks

Jacks Master

on Jan 13, 2018 at 8:59 PM

I think most would understand that and I wouldn't worry about it.

Flag

M.Hand

M.Hand Super

on Jan 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM

I agree, I went to a wedding this summer at country club and we had access to outdoors and we used regular plastic cups and I didnt think anything of it. I actually had to go back on my phone just now and look at a picture to see if it was plastic or glass. Although, they were allowed to have glass beer bottles.

Flag

Kelli Devoted

on Jan 13, 2018 at 9:10 PM
I think people will understand

Flag

EngineerInLove

EngineerInLove VIP

on Jan 13, 2018 at 9:14 PM
That's a pretty common policy, I wouldn't worry about it too much and just go with what they offer!

Flag

Taylor Beginner

on Jan 13, 2018 at 9:27 PM
I think plastic cups would be fine.

Flag

stephanie Super

on Jan 13, 2018 at 9:42 PM
I've been to quite a few "fancy" work events like this. Just use whatever clear plastic glasses, people will understand.

Flag

Lauren Just Said Yes

on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:21 PM
People understand and it’s a crappy policy. When I was a guest at an event like that I would request glass and they would do it.

Flag

Nikki

Nikki Expert

on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:25 PM
As long as they aren’t pouring into red solo cups I think you will be fine

Flag

HowCo Industries Expert

on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:32 PM
Plain, clear plastic cups will actually look more formal than most all of your alternatives. While getting personalized plastic cups are fun, and are great at informal or casual affairs, they don't read as formal.

Flag

Mary

Mary Dedicated

on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:35 PM

I was thinking plastic wine plasticware like these and cocktail plasticware like these, so not exactly personalized cups.

Flag

FutureLadyH Savvy

on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:46 PM
If the caterer cannot offer the plastic cups, I would run to a wholesale store (sams, BJ's, restaurant depot). If the thought of plastic cups makes you cringe, get the hard ones (the ones that crack if you squeeze too hard. Lol) to get a less casual look and feel. I think 3 per person is a good estimate if it's just for cocktail hour. If you need enough for the entire event, ask the caterer what they usually use in glassware. Hopefully, they have an answer. The caterer may also be able to provide the plastic cups at a lower cost, be sure to ask them. Good luck!!

Flag

Raquel Just Said Yes

on Jan 13, 2018 at 10:52 PM
I think the plastic is totally fine. I wouldn't worry about it!

Flag

Future Mrs. K

Future Mrs. K Dedicated

on Jan 13, 2018 at 11:31 PM
Totally understandable. I wouldn’t worry too much

Flag

Summer987 Devoted

on Jan 14, 2018 at 12:57 AM
Check out webstaurant.com they have options in bulk with prices a little cheaper than smarty had a party. I ordered some from there for my wedding.

Flag

Cuoghi

Cuoghi Super

on Jan 14, 2018 at 1:10 AM

Flag

Shannon Dedicated

on Jan 14, 2018 at 1:23 AM
I don't think people will care about the cup. They care about what is in the cup.

Flag

ColmeneroBride

ColmeneroBride Super

on Jan 14, 2018 at 1:40 AM
Guests usually do not pay attention to smaller details as such. What they will pay attrntion to is how good the food and drinks are. I really do not think it will matter to anyone except for yourself.

As brides sometimes I think we try to make everything a bigger deal than it is becausr it matters so much to us and we really want the day to be perfect, but I promise you going with plastic cups will not only save you money but also it will not ruin your day.

Flag

HowCo Industries Expert

on Jan 14, 2018 at 7:43 AM
Oh, thank goodness! I might upgrade to that rather smooth looking rocks glass, but I've never had a plastic wine glass where the two pieces didn't come apart. Having that happen is way more memorable than having wine served in a plastic cocktail cup.

Flag

Kourt

Kourt Devoted

on Jan 14, 2018 at 8:06 AM
If the alcohol is free for guests - they certainly wouldn’t mind what it’s served in. Even if they are the purchasers.. it’s a detail that isn’t going to be remembered or make or break the wedding.

Flag

Shay

Shay Dedicated

on Jan 14, 2018 at 8:13 AM
Sams club has some nice clear cups. I wouldn't let this worry me because you do have some options on how fancy you want to go

Flag

Page 1 of 2

Respond to this discussion