Search discussions
futurmrslowe

futurmrslowe Devoted

on Jan 14, 2018 at 12:35 AM

Number of Dress Shopping Appointments

My BFF is making plans to come to town for when I go dress shopping next month (I didn't even ask - she just asked when to come so we could go together, now that's a good friend!)

How many places did everyone look/try on before deciding ? I can only see myself looking 1-2 places anyhow, But Is just one enough? I'm getting ready to make some appointments this week ....

Flag

Replies (36)

brandie Beginner

on Jan 14, 2018 at 12:40 AM
For me it was 4 stores. And about 40 dresses until I found the one.

Flag

Cuoghi

Cuoghi VIP

on Jan 14, 2018 at 12:40 AM
It can get overwhelming kind of fast so id stick to 1-2.

Flag

ThePeoplesBride

ThePeoplesBride VIP

on Jan 14, 2018 at 12:43 AM
Shops selling wedding dresses often carry a wide variety so it is totally possible that you will be able to find something you like in just one visit at one store. But it doesn't hurt to visit at least one more store just to shop around and sample their options.

Though I highly suggest sleeping on a dress you really like and going back to try it on just to see if you still love it.

I loved a dress that I tried on the first time I went shopping. I ugly cried. My mom ugly cried. The consultant even cried so I was convinced that was it. But my FSIL talked me off the ledge and told me to think about it overnight. I went back a week later, tried it on and realized it wasn't what I wanted at all. The shape didn't flatter my figure at all and the details did nothing for me. I chalk it up to feeling overwhelmed and overly emotional about my impending change in marital status.

Flag

July18Bride

July18Bride Super

on Jan 14, 2018 at 12:46 AM
I only went to one and found my dress. I would schedule at least two though just in case. Once you find The ONE then stop looking everywhere else or it will make question your decision.

It should only tame max 2.5 hours at each store so I would schedule 2 in one day.

Flag

Malwen107 Super

on Jan 14, 2018 at 12:58 AM

We went to one, and I found my dress. I was going to schedule two and didn't need to!

Flag

Stacy Dedicated

on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:01 AM
Went to 4 stores. Tried on at 3. I ended up going back to the first place to get the first dress I fell in love with, which was the last one I tried on at that place. I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Flag

Delilah Just Said Yes

on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:02 AM
I went to three or four shops - each had a different process for browsing and selecting the dresses. I would ask ahead about the process - can your best friend browse and pick items out, is it just private label, etc.? Even though I ultimately bought online, the process helped figure out what style worked for my body and

I also endorse milking the situation and trying on as many dresses as you want .

Flag

MrsGtoBe

MrsGtoBe Dedicated

on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:16 AM
I went to 2. I bought the first dress I tried on at the second shop. I almost bought the very first dress I ever tried on at the first shop but just wasn’t ready to commit. I’m glad I didn’t because the dress I ended up getting is my dream dress! My advice is don’t take too many people with you. Too many opinions makes it way harder to decide. And make sure your consultant knows what you like and don’t like but be open to trying different styles. I loved dress shopping! It was so much fun to pretty much play dress up. Have fun!

Flag

Margarita Dedicated

on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:16 AM
This is impossible to answer.. I tried 3 dresses and found exactly what I envisioned myself wearing and fell deeply in love with my dress. For me, it was quick. For others, not always the case. It’s not uncommon to need many appointments at many stores to find the one. We can’t predict what will be the case for you. Go into one store, but have a clear vision of what you like (mermaid, ballgown, sheath, embellished, simple, etc..) try various styles but don’t go in clueless (if you can help it) I did a TON of browsing online and knew what I was looking for. For me, it was a sparkly, princess, ball gown! Good luck

Flag

Margarita Dedicated

on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:18 AM
And if you don’t have luck at the first store , then book at another, then another.. one step at a time until you find it

Flag

Kara Just Said Yes

on Jan 14, 2018 at 2:28 AM
I definitely agree with some of the above responses. Taking it one step at a time is the only thing that kept me sane. I started with an appointment and tried on about 9 dresses. And chose my top three. I made a follow up appointment 6-8 weeks later to retry my top three and make a decision, at that appointment a few new dresses has arrived and I tried on about 8 dresses total that night including the three from my previous appointment. I ended up purchasing that night! I would recommend starting with one appointment and seeing how it goes. I lucked out that I only had to go to one store and found my dress relatively quickly. Best of luck!

Flag

Shai Super

on Jan 14, 2018 at 8:01 AM
Well I had been doing months of research on the type of dresses I liked and wanted to try on so I found the 3 bridal shops that all the dresses I liked in my area and went to the closest one to my house. I tried on 6 dresses and the 2nd was the ONE. One stop shop for me

Flag

futurmrslowe

futurmrslowe Devoted

on Jan 14, 2018 at 8:30 AM
Thanks all- so good to hear about everyone’s experiences

Flag

Future Mrs B Super

on Jan 14, 2018 at 8:38 AM
I looked and one store and got the seventh dress on the first day about an hour and a half after I started.

Flag

Kristen328

Kristen328 Expert

on Jan 14, 2018 at 8:44 AM
I only went to two stores - my local boutique and David's Bridal. I found my dress at my second trip to David's Bridal. I looked at a ton online and knew what I was looking for.

Flag

Alforev

Alforev VIP

on Jan 14, 2018 at 8:52 AM
I only went to two stores and I would recommend sticking to two for now just so you’re not overwhelmed.

Flag

FME

FME Master

I only went to one store, I found “the” dress but in the back of my mind I wish I explored more options. At that time. AA was still open so I wished I would have went there, but everything happens for a reason I suppose. I had FOMO, but wound up exchanging the dress anyway. I tried on a total of 7 dresses at my first visit to DB and about 6 during my exchange consultation. I am super happy with my choice.

Flag

FirstTimeMOB

I went with my daughter to five different shops.

Each shop carried at least one designer the others did not, so this gave her an opportunity to try on nearly all the dress styles she wanted to see. I lost count of the number she tried.

At the first shop, the first dress she put on was her favorite from pictures, and she truly LOVED that dress, but we plowed ahead and continued the search. At the fifth salon, they had the 'first' dress sample so after trying on 5-6 others she put that first one back on and burst into tears, saying "This is really it Mom!"

So she ended up with the first one...but was SO sure because of all the other options she tried on as well.

Flag

Sara P.

Sara P. Super

on Jan 14, 2018 at 9:12 AM
I made 4 appointments over two days and I got my dress at the 3rd sure so I cancelled the 4th appointment. I would make at least 2 appointments if I were you. Good luck!

Flag

Alyssa Dedicated

on Jan 14, 2018 at 9:26 AM
I went to one store and tried on 6 dresses and found the one! You'll know when you have it on, maybe plan to have a 2nd store lined up if you don't find the one at the first shop. And try everything on! I tried on a dress I didn't really want to because I thought it would look terrible on me. And that's the dress I ended up loving and getting

Flag

Page 1 of 2

Respond to this discussion